Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.14 Partition Invisible On 10.11.6 and Windows 7

I just created a new partition, using Disk Utility on OS 10.11.6, on my iMac and installed OS 10.14 on it. I already had OS 10.11.6 and Windows 7 with Bootcamp installed. I am able to boot into any of the OSes on startup by holding the 'option' key. When booted into 10.14, the finder can see the 10.11 and Windows partitions, and I can select any of the partitions as the Startup Disk in System Preferences, but the 10.14 partition does not appear in the finder on 10.11 nor in Windows. The 10.14 partition is not a Startup Disk choice in the 10.11 System Preferences, and the Disk Utility on 10.11 shows the partition as "Untitled" with the name field disabled. Is there some way to make the 10.14 partition visible to the other OSes?

Thank You

Larry

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 10, 2019 5:33 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 13, 2019 3:12 AM in response to LM248

macOS 10.14 uses the APFS format and Apple (still) have not yet updated their Boot Camp software for Windows to allow it to understand APFS formatted drives and to let you select it to boot back in to macOS.

As you yourself mention the workaround is to hold down the Option key at boot time to see a list of bootable drives.

It may not do what you want but there have been various tools to allow Windows to access the old Mac HFS+ formatted drives, one of these is MacDrive. MacDrive are currently testing a new version which will include APFS support as well.

See - https://www.macdrive.com/macdrive/macdrive105signup/

I suspect that whilst this would allow Windows to read and write to an APFS drive that the Boot Camp control panel might still not list it as a bootable drive.

You could test the beta (if your willing to take that risk) and let MacDrive know if their tool helps with that issue. They may be able to modify it to help more.

10.14 Partition Invisible On 10.11.6 and Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.