You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's going on with Safari 5...?

I updated the Safari (4.0.5), with Software update, but when I've launched the version 5, I wasn't able to use it; and still don't.
In the upper gray bar, Safari shows up, but the screen is empty, there is no window. After some time, I managed to bring the window to be visible on the screen, and it looked, like it was placing itself upon being launched, somewhere down, as it was coming from underneath.
Still, I couldn't use the app, as, when I tried the window to fit the screen, it was trying to perform the task for a short while, and than the Safari quit. This was happening, with every one of the following attempts at launching the browser.
What puzzles me still, is that I tried updating Safari on my other computer, with the same results.
Fortunately, before downloading the app on the second machine, I've renamed the old version, and made a copy, so I'm able to use the previous Safari number 4, as on the first computer, there was no Safari 4, once I've did the upgrade...
I've sent few of the crash reports to Apple, but as sort of expected, I didn't get any response in two weeks now...

IMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 13, 2010 12:58 AM

4 replies

Jul 13, 2010 1:52 AM in response to Tatartatartatartatartatar

It is a myth that Safari 5 caused a rift in the space-time continuum and/or requires a call for an air strike and is not working for anybody.

It works for the vast majority and there is no need whatever to revert to a previous version. If you do you will lose the security aspect of the update.

When it does not work, at least not perfectly, there are a few possible causes, all of which have remedies.

1. Third-party plug-ins, add-ons, extension managers, whatever, have yet to be updated by their developers to comply with Safari 5 and therefore crash Safari.

Solution: Disable or delete them. You fill find them in one or more of these folders:

Home/Library/Input Managers

Hard Disk/library/Input Managers

Hard Disk/Library/Application Support

(The one that caused most problems was the CT toolbar/ct plugin. Instructions for removing that has been posted many times, but please post back for a repeat.)

Close Safari and delete them, then restart Safari and it should be working normally. Alternatively drag them to the desktop and restart Safari. then add them back one at a time, restarting Safari every time, until you find the one (or more) causing the crash.

Check with the developers of the plug-ins in question for updates that are Safari 5 compliant.

2. Safari hangs/does not finish loading web pages, or gives "Failed to find Server" messages etc.

(You should clear you cache and history files regularly.)

Probably a conflict between the DNS numbers supplied by your ISP and the way Safari 5 now does things.

Solution: Adding Open DNS codes to your Network Preferences, should give good results in terms of speed-up as well as added security. Open System Preferences/Network. Double click on your connection type, or select it in the drop-down menu, and in the box marked 'DNS Servers' add the following two numbers:

(You can also enter them if you click on Advanced and then DNS)

3. Flash videos no longer play.

(Particularly common with Snow Leopard)

Solution: You should first uninstall any previous version of Flash Player, using the uninstaller from here (make sure you use the correct one!):

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

Now download and install the latest version of Adobe FlashPlayer from here:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1ProdVersion=ShockwaveFlash

and follow the instructions closely, such as closing ALL applications first before installing. You must also carry out a permission repair after installing anything from Adobe.

4. Still won't work

Solution: download and re-install the latest combo update for your system. Then download and re-install Safari 5 again. Then repair permissions.

If required, repeat 1 - 3.

Jul 13, 2010 4:09 AM in response to Tatartatartatartatartatar

HI,

I've sent few of the crash reports to Apple,

Please post a crash report so we can get an idea of what's causing the problem.

If Safari has just crashed, press the Report button on the CrashReporter dialog box to view the crash information.

Now copy/paste the entire contents of the Crash Reporter window into your reply here. If the crash report dialog does not appear or the crash is hard to reproduce, crash logs can be retrieved from the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter> folder.

I've renamed the old version

Never rename or alter the version number of an application. That can cause an untold amount of problems.

Carolyn 🙂

Jul 14, 2010 1:29 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I don't understand what was happening.
I just downloaded Safari 5, before which I made a copy of the previous version, and, I don't know; it's working fine... I did not need delete any plug ins, or the like...
What makes this puzzling, is, I tried upgrading Safari on two different machines, with same characteristics, i.e. the same starting points for both updates, and had the same unfortunate results.
Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll keep those, for Safari 6.

PS: Carolyn, I'm sorry the Safari didn't crash, and I couldn't provide you with the report. But we all figured by now, the versions 6, 7, and so on, are coming; so hang in there, and don't despair...

What's going on with Safari 5...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.