Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook locked

I was working today in the morning a little bit with my mac, and then after a while I left it charging. But when I came back I saw the message "Enter your system lock pin code to unlock this mac". I searched a bit on google and I saw that the mac is in lost mode now. I don't know know exactly what triggered it but my first thought was that some of my relatives using same Apple ID as mine, might've done this. Anyway can someone help me out, how do I get out of this? The macbook is not set up on iCloud but and I can't see it listed there, however I can see it when I login on https://appleid.apple.com/, but there's no option to turn lost mode off. I'm very frustrated and don't know what to do about this. Help!

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 13, 2019 3:26 AM

6 replies

May 13, 2019 3:48 PM in response to yllfejziu

Hello yllfejziu,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! I understand you Mac shows a screen stating "Enter your system lock pin code to unlock this mac". I'm happy to assist you.

A lock screen appears when your computer is locked with a firmware password. To unlock the computer, you will need to enter the EFI (firmware) password and press return. Your Mac should then start up normally.

If you're not sure what the firmware password is, follow the section of this article that states "If you forgot your firmware password".

How to set a firmware password on your Mac

Best Regards.

May 13, 2019 6:29 PM in response to rose_10

Hi sarah_s1,

Thanks for your reply! I mentioned that one of the reasons that my macbook was locked, may be due to my relatives accidentally locking it while using my Apple ID. However, I recently read about hackers locking out macbooks and maybe that's the case with me.

So basically the only option is to bring it to an Apple authorized service provider and have them look up on this? Nothing can be done to remove the firmware password by myself?

Thanks in advance!

May 23, 2019 4:23 PM in response to yllfejziu

Hi yllfejziu,

I don't know what to say. Why your MacBook decided to lock up the EFI on you I don't know, but only Apple is able to remove a forgotten firmware password. Schedule an appointment at an Apple Authorized Service Provider or at a Genius Bar in an Apple Store. In the meanwhile, though, I suggest the following:

If you didn't set a firmware password before this happened, there's a way that allows you to brute force the PIN. Start up normally and see how long the PIN is. Once you know the PIN length, restart your Mac while holding down the Option key. This will instruct your Mac to load Startup Manager, but you'll be prompted for the PIN first (a padlock and a password field will appear onscreen). Since the Recovery OS isn't loaded yet, though, there is no time penalty for incorrect attempts, and therefore you can try as many combinations as you wish. The only downside to this is that brute forcing the PIN will take a ridiculous amount of time, as a 4-digit PIN has 10,000 combinations and a 6-digit PIN has 1,000,000 combinations.

If you guess the correct PIN, Startup Manager will appear, and you'll be prompted to select a boot device. Select your internal drive to load the Recovery OS. When the PIN screen appears, enter the same PIN to unlock your Mac and remove the firmware password. Your Mac will then start up normally.

To escape the first screen, hold down the power button on your Mac until it shuts off.

Macbook locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.