Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I plug my iphone into a 220v USB plug without the "cube"?

I'm looking at travel adapters to buy for my trip to Europe, and many of the adapters say that it only adapts the plug but does not convert the current, so you cannot use an item that only takes 110v.

However, I read that the Iphone cube converts the current so it can take 110 or 220v. However, my question is how about if I plug my iphone directly into the USB opening of an adapter that is not a converter (without using the iphone cube). Would that be okay?

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on May 13, 2019 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2019 9:20 AM

Apple's iPhone chargers work with voltage anywhere in the world., 110, 115, 120, 220, 230, 240 and whatever else you might find. All that is needed is a mechanical adapter so that the plug fits into the receptacle.

4 replies

May 13, 2019 10:09 AM in response to kevdude1234

If your adapter has a 5v USB outlet it should work. However, be cautious about cheap and nasty end of third party USB adapters which may not be manufactured to the quality you expect from Apple branded equipment. Your Apple power adapter is designed to accept any AC voltage between 110 and 230v, so you only need to do the plug fitting conversion.

Also take a look at https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD837AM/A/apple-world-travel-adapter-kit?fnode=97&fs=f%3Dadapter%26fh%3D458e%252B45b0 if your charging adapter uses the standard interchangeable duck heads.

Correction: I just managed to read the tiny writing on my Apple 12W power adapter, the input is rated for 100-240v.

May 13, 2019 2:56 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

Correction: I just managed to read the tiny writing on my Apple 12W power adapter, the input is rated for 100-240v.

If your eyes are good enough (mine aren't), you will probably see a reference to AC and DC (most likely they use the industry-standard icons). That's the reason for the 100V bottom figure.

For the record, the input power for normal charging adapters and power supplies are always AC but this has no connection to the voltage. The true reason for the range is because the normal domestic voltage for some countries including Japan is 100V, and the maximum is nominal 240V which used to be found here in UK. So, 100-240 means worldwide cover of any domestic mains (utility) power.

Can I plug my iphone into a 220v USB plug without the "cube"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.