Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anybody else had problems with the CNN website being slow and inconsistent to load on Safari 12.1 with OS Mojave? Happens constantly. No problems with any other websites or with Chrome.

Seems like since I upgraded to this version of Safari, I've had this problem. Tried different settings and disabled all extensions as well as BitDefender with no difference. I'm not having any issues with any other websites, only CNN. When I go to it, it looks like the page has loaded but if I start to scroll up or down, the page doesn't respond and I get the nice little spinning pinwheel. Once I wait another 10 seconds or so, then it's loaded and I can scroll, until I click on a link and it happens all over again. I've cleared all website data, cookies, changes setting, etc. Just seems as though CNN isn't playing nice with Safari. I'm resorting to just using Chrome for this one website but I don't want to use Chrome for anything. I'm an Apple guy all the way. Anybody else having this issue??? I keep checking for an update to Safari hoping one will become available to fix it. And yes, I have fast internet via Comcast. Nothing affecting bandwidth. But I have rebooted all com gear to be safe.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 13, 2019 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2019 7:22 PM

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2019 7:22 PM in response to JBF54

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

May 13, 2019 10:00 PM in response to Eric Root

Looks like I found the problem. I created another admin account and had the same issue. So I restarted in safe mode and logged in with my account and it was OK. So I checked my account under users and saw I had two programs loading automatically, VMware Fusion which I had long deleted from the system and iTunes application helper. I deleted both and now don't seem to be having any issues with CNN or its links loading. I'll keep testing but after an hour and multiple reboots it seems fine. Cool! Thanks for the help!

May 16, 2019 9:42 AM in response to JBF54

Gosh, I have exactly the same issue. I typically use Safari and ONLY ONE WEBSITE, CNN, suddenly scrolls slowly. No other website that I've encountered does this slow scroll (often initiating the spinning wheel for a few seconds). And even CNN loads and scrolls ok if I switch over to Chrome.

So it is a CNN-Safari issue only. I am running Safari 12.1 under Mojave 10.14.4. I've emptied caches, cleared history but neither of those efforts have helped.

I checked my startup items and I do have 5 applications but none are the two that you mention (JBF54). I don't want to create another user account on this particular computer but it doesn't sound like that helped you anyway.

Seems hard to imagine how any of these startup apps I have would crosstalk with just one website, CNN, and just one browser, Safari??? Curious for sure.

I have one other, older MacBook Pro running exactly the same OS and version of Safari. I will go try that computer and see if it does the same on Safari.

My guess is it's got something to do with maybe some change CNN has recently made that doesn't play well with Safari. Just a guess...

Has anybody else had problems with the CNN website being slow and inconsistent to load on Safari 12.1 with OS Mojave? Happens constantly. No problems with any other websites or with Chrome.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.