Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the iPad to upload photos from my camera's SD card to iCloud?

I'm considering buying a 10.5 inch Air Mini for taking on vacation. I take a lot of digital photos which I would like to view on the iPad before uploading to iCloud. I have no interest in storing them on the device. I have an SD card-lightning connector.

Posted on May 13, 2019 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2019 8:30 PM

Correct.

what will probably happen is you pull the photos over onto your ipad. Unless you turn off icloud syncing, it will try to upload them there, but you ignore that, instead upload them to the service of your choice, then you can delete them off the device, which will also delete them off iCloud.

I would suggest that you consider investing in some extra SD cards. Personally, I wouldn’t completely trust having my only copy of the photos on some server somewhere (and I say this about any cloud service), but if you upload them there and keep the original on a card you have that as a backup in case something goes wrong.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2019 8:30 PM in response to LayniBSN

Correct.

what will probably happen is you pull the photos over onto your ipad. Unless you turn off icloud syncing, it will try to upload them there, but you ignore that, instead upload them to the service of your choice, then you can delete them off the device, which will also delete them off iCloud.

I would suggest that you consider investing in some extra SD cards. Personally, I wouldn’t completely trust having my only copy of the photos on some server somewhere (and I say this about any cloud service), but if you upload them there and keep the original on a card you have that as a backup in case something goes wrong.

May 13, 2019 7:43 PM in response to LayniBSN

The problem with that is that iCloud isn’t as much storage as a syncing service. You can use the SD card reader to read the files, and upload them to iCloud...but they have to stay on your device. Deleting them from your device will also delete them from iCloud

Now that said, use some other service instead of iCloud and you can use the ipad that way. Bear in mind that iPads ‘optimize’ photo files, which may not be an issue if you are largely using them online and don’t plan to print them out any larger than 8x10 or maybe 11x14.

So yeah, you can use it to upload photos, just don’t use iCloud.

May 13, 2019 8:23 PM in response to Skydiver119

Thanks for the quick reply, Skydiver119! So if I understand what you’re saying, I could use the Photos app to open/see the photos on the SD card & then save them to DropBox or Google Photos or somewhere like that?

Im trying to avoid toting my MacBook around, and I don’t want to store the photos on the Mini, just review them. Plus I don’t want to buy more storage than I need for something I’ll just use to read books, check email, and buy online tickets.

Can I use the iPad to upload photos from my camera's SD card to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.