Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac will not restart after update

I just updated to 10.13.6 and hit restart. The computer tries to shut down, but then hangs with a grey screen and a functioning pointer. I have to shut off the computer with the power button, and subsequent restart is normal. However, I'm still getting prompted to update. What's wrong?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2019 5:47 AM

You may have downloaded the update but it sis not install. Look in your Applications folder for "Install macOS...". If it is there double-click to install.

If that's not it, then try installing to 10.13.6 Combo Update.

Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update

The Combo Update is a fuller install, as opposed to an incremental "delta" update, so it should overwrite any files that are damaged or missing. It does not matter if you have applied it before. It should preserve all your data and settings but that said you should always have a backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2019 5:47 AM in response to Daniel Gold3

You may have downloaded the update but it sis not install. Look in your Applications folder for "Install macOS...". If it is there double-click to install.

If that's not it, then try installing to 10.13.6 Combo Update.

Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update

The Combo Update is a fuller install, as opposed to an incremental "delta" update, so it should overwrite any files that are damaged or missing. It does not matter if you have applied it before. It should preserve all your data and settings but that said you should always have a backup.

Mac will not restart after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.