Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help: each update cause the mac to boot from the wrong partition

Hello guys,

something weird happened to me recently. I had to change my HD cause it was broken and so I installed a new Samsung SSD and start High Sierra installation via internet (I couldn't manage to download a complete high sierra image from the app store, cause it kept downloading just 19 Mbytes.

Anyway, this caused the mac to lose the "boot primary partition" each time there's an update. It completes the update but then it reboots in a grey screen with a barred/crossed circle in the middle (like it misses the HD) where it stays forever until I switch it off and on manually.

I think this has something to do with the partition scheme, but I don't have any idea how to fix it.

"Diskutil list" command gives this back:

Last login: Wed May 15 22:46:07 on console

MBP-di-Riccardo:~ riccardo$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         1000.0 GB  disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +1000.0 GB  disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1:                APFS Volume MAC OS                  65.0 GB    disk1s1

2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 22.1 MB    disk1s2

3:                APFS Volume Recovery                516.5 MB   disk1s3

4:                APFS Volume VM                      3.2 GB     disk1s4

How do I set it properly ? Any idea ?

Is the mac entering one of the "virtual volume" ? There is only 1 disk in this computer.

Thanks a lot.

Riccardo

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 15, 2019 2:06 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 18, 2019 6:56 AM in response to riiiic

How to use Apple Hardware Test

1. Disconnect all external devices except keyboard, mouse, display, Ethernet connection (if applicable), and connection to AC power. Apple Hardware Test might display an error message if you don't disconnect all other devices. 
  2. Make sure that your Mac is on a hard, flat, stable, well-ventilated work surface.
  3. Shut down your Mac.
  4. Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold the D key on your keyboard. Keep holding the D key until you see the Apple Hardware Test icon:
  5. Select your language and click the right arrow. If you aren't using a mouse, you can use the up and down arrows to select a language, then press the Return key.
  6. To begin testing, click the Test button, press T, or press Return. Optionally select "Perform extended testing" before beginning the test. This performs a more thorough test that takes longer to complete.
  7. When the test is complete, review your test results in the lower-right section of the window.
  8. To quit Apple Hardware Test, click Restart or Shut Down at the bottom of the window.

Learn more

• Some Mac computers that shipped with OS X Lion v10.7 or later will start up from AHT over the Internet if your startup disk doesn't contain AHT, or if you hold down Option-D at startup. This requires an Internet connection over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
  • If you're using OS X Lion v10.7 or earlier and you can't get AHT to start, see if you have an OS X installation disc named “Applications Install Disc 2.” Insert the disc in your internal optical drive or external Apple SuperDrive before following the steps above. Or, if you're using a MacBook Air (Late 2010), plug the MacBook Air Software Reinstall thumb drive into your USB port instead.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

May 15, 2019 2:21 PM in response to riiiic

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Release the keys when you see the Apple logo, a spinning globe, or a prompt for a firmware password. When you see the Utilities window, you've started up from macOS Recovery.

May 18, 2019 7:54 AM in response to riiiic

>System Preferences>Startup Disk Manager

Select or reselect the Macintosh HD here

How to select a different startup disk - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Maybe this cache clearing is all it will take to get back on track.

Reboot as normal and test.

May 16, 2019 2:15 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello BDAqua and thanks for your reply.

I don't really want to install macOS again, is there any woraround to tell the OS to reboot on the right partition ?

The problem only affects reboots. Normal booting from complete switch off works perfectly

The problem is any time there's an update: it will reboot during the update and stay in grey page forever (until I switch it off).

To complete the update I have to force switch off and then on again.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Help: each update cause the mac to boot from the wrong partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.