Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple block emails to my account?

I received the following email from the webmaster of my Home Owner's Association:

"I sent out an email blast about the water rates case a few minutes ago, and received a message to the effect that Apple had blocked them from your accounts (icloud or mac). It may be necessary for you to explicitly whitelist me for these messages to go through regularly."

Does Apple block emails to my mail address?

Thank you in advance for anticipated responses.

Ken C

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 16, 2019 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2019 12:07 PM

Welcome Ken,

We are not Apple, rather end users like you, so can only share our experiences. I'm thinking that your HOA might have a problem with their server. I've used Macs since before e-mail was a thing--never had Apple block anything. Apple won't answer questions posted here.

Do you you get e-mail through Apple Mail or another mail client like it, or read your mail from a browser? Are yo urunning any anti-virus software?

Apple Mail can have "rules" that will block some domains or senders but the rules list is blank unless you set up such filters.

My ISP has preferences at the server end that also allow blocking certain domains. Worth checking but, if you've never had previous issues with e-mails from the HPA that required you to restrict their mailings, that points back to something at their end.

I know that name. Are you in TX?

Allan

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2019 12:07 PM in response to Kenneth W. Couger

Welcome Ken,

We are not Apple, rather end users like you, so can only share our experiences. I'm thinking that your HOA might have a problem with their server. I've used Macs since before e-mail was a thing--never had Apple block anything. Apple won't answer questions posted here.

Do you you get e-mail through Apple Mail or another mail client like it, or read your mail from a browser? Are yo urunning any anti-virus software?

Apple Mail can have "rules" that will block some domains or senders but the rules list is blank unless you set up such filters.

My ISP has preferences at the server end that also allow blocking certain domains. Worth checking but, if you've never had previous issues with e-mails from the HPA that required you to restrict their mailings, that points back to something at their end.

I know that name. Are you in TX?

Allan

May 16, 2019 12:36 PM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan,

Yep, HQ'd, and retired, in the Texas Hill Country. If "Inland, NW" is in the Banana Belt, and on the Snake River, and you know folks with first names: Arlen, Billy Ray (RIP), Tom and Darrel (RIP) we're long time friends. My email address is the same since the 80's. Would like to hear from you.

THANKS for the reply and suggestions. I'll get back to the HOA administrator and hopefully get all straightened out.

Ken C

May 16, 2019 4:03 PM in response to Kenneth W. Couger

I'd also tell your friend that he should check with his ISP; I had this problem some time back: every email I sent to someone in Europe came back with a notice. I finally contacted first their mail delivery system that blocked me and they told me that the IP address I had been assigned was blocked because of spam and then I called my ISP (CenturyLink) and they told me that resetting my modem/router would automatically generate a new IP address. So, I did, and haven't had a problem since. So, have him reset his router and then send out a test email. If that works, have him call his ISP and ask what their rules/limits are on how many recipients per email and how many emails per hour or day - all ISPs have limits to limit spamming. He can just send it in batches and send 4 emails instead of one.

May 16, 2019 4:21 PM in response to Kenneth W. Couger

If "Inland, NW" is in the Banana Belt, and on the Snake River, and you know folks with first names: Arlen, Billy Ray (RIP), Tom and Darrel (RIP) we're long time friends.

That's me! I didn't know your middle initial but the old handbook you wrote with Richard H is in the stack of reference books on my writing desk and that had the middle initial right on the spine.

I was afraid I'd lost your e-mail addy when my old iMac died last fall but turns out I still have it thanks to Contacts being on iCloud. I'll send a note soon so we won't get yelled at for going off topic.

May 16, 2019 5:08 PM in response to Kenneth W. Couger

As the site manager for an email listserv I can tell you that iCloud/Mac/ME sometimes blocks messages that are suspected of being spam. I've never been able to figure out what criteria they use to decide its spam. The messages look perfectly normal and are usually not rejected by any other ISPs. It appears to be completely random, and blocks perhaps 1% of everything we send.

May 16, 2019 5:33 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have YahooMail

There are THIRTY FOUR Apple Support Communities notifications in the Junk folder

I don't see anything "unusual" about the ones that I have perused so far

Apparently, these algorithms are persnickety.

babowa mentioned her IP address being blocked

At one time, I was manager of a tech support/customer service team for a Real Estate software outfit. The software had a built-in email functionality. A bunch of the RE Agents in the DC/Maryland/Virginia area had Roadrunner as their email provider.

Roadrunner would block ALL of the IP addresses of an ISP that had ONE customer that SPAMmed - so if one their client correspondents in the RE transaction had that ISP, the whole workflow went south

I had the Roadrunner 'engineers' private phone number on speed dial after the 2nd occurrence.

May 17, 2019 6:56 AM in response to babowa

FWIW, it is(was) not your fault that the IP address was blacklisted - IMHO, the list "keeper" needs to remove it from the list - that is what Roadrunner did when called to their attention

I am sure the Keeper folks would like to be nice - and improve the way that they fight SPAM.

What Roadrunner was doing was waiting for the ISP owning the IP range to call them to complain. Typically, the ISP was unaware that the deed was done.

This is what happens when powerful 'engineers' work in darkened rooms slugging down Jolt Cola and are not proactive

Does Apple block emails to my account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.