Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use dictation with smart keyboard

Recently bought an Ipad Pro along with a smart keyboard folio, only to discover that I can no longer use voice dictation on messages or apps like Duolingo without removing the keyboard. So frustrating and inconvenient!! Apple needs to add this feature!

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on May 16, 2019 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2019 11:36 AM

You do NOT have to remove the keyboard to use dictation. This just shows you are unfamiliar with the shortcuts available to you. To use the Dictation function, you need to bring up the onscreen keyboard. To do so, this is how:

Switch to software keyboard

You might need to use your software keyboard instead of the Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard to do things like type accented characters or use dictation. To show the software keyboard, tap the down arrow key on your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard, then touch and hold  until the software keyboard appears. To hide the keyboard again, tap .

Learn more about using iOS keyboards.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2019 11:36 AM in response to judi31

You do NOT have to remove the keyboard to use dictation. This just shows you are unfamiliar with the shortcuts available to you. To use the Dictation function, you need to bring up the onscreen keyboard. To do so, this is how:

Switch to software keyboard

You might need to use your software keyboard instead of the Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard to do things like type accented characters or use dictation. To show the software keyboard, tap the down arrow key on your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard, then touch and hold  until the software keyboard appears. To hide the keyboard again, tap .

Learn more about using iOS keyboards.

May 16, 2019 1:11 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Again, I wish you were correct. Here is a transcript from the APPLE SUPPORT chat I had today:

Kshia

Have you been able to ever use Dictation with the Smart Keyboard connected in the past?

Judi Partlo

only 1 time. It came up once when I was using Duolingo and that was the only time.

Kshia

Ah I see. Let me check to see if this would be expected behavior. Just a minute.

Judi Partlo

sure

System Message

Just a few more moments. Your Advisor will be right with you.

Kshia

Thanks for your patience! I really do appreciate it!

Kshia

It appears that it would be expected behavior. You can only use the software keyboard with dictation. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205237 You may have experienced a software glitch when you used it the first time.

Judi Partlo

so

i have to remove the keyboard every time I want to use dictation?

That's really unfortunate and makes things much more inconvenient

Kshia

Yes

ma’am. The keyboard has to be removed as dictation is not compatible

with the hardware Smart Keyboard at this time. I can submit feedback

about this matter on your behalf. Maybe we can implement this is the

future. I also encourage you to provide direct comments at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ - comments there are routed to people who have the most influence on our products, services, and policies.

Judi Partlo

yes, please do and I will also comment on there

Kshia

I most certainly will! I’m glad that we were able to assist you today! Have i answered all of your questions and concerns before we wrap up?

Judi Partlo

it

would be helpful if all your support people were aware of this so that

it didn't take all this time and multiple people to be told this

Kshia

I

do apologize for the inconvenience. When a case is escalated like this

one and the Advisor is not aware on how to educate the customer, we will

send feedback to the advisor so that they are aware should they come

across this matter again. Thanks for your feedback.

Judi Partlo

thank you

Sincerely,

Apple Support

May 16, 2019 1:15 PM in response to judi31

This is the link I meant to give you: Use your Smart Keyboard Folio or Smart Keyboard with iPad Pro - Apple Support

They said in the transcript that you can only use dictation from the onscreen keyboard. This is indeed fact. But that does NOT mean you must remove the smart folio keyboard from your iPad to bring up the onscreen keyboard. In my first reply to you, I provided directions on how to bring up the onscreen keyboard from the folio keyboard, without EVER having to remove it.

There is no button on the folio keyboard to bring up dictation. You have to bring up the onscreen keyboard. BUT YOU NEVER HAVE TO REMOVE THE APPLE FOLIO KEYBOARD to bring up the onscreen keyboard.

May 16, 2019 12:22 PM in response to lobsterghost1

If only this were true. I just got off of an Apple support chat and they verified that this is true. The first technician told me to try what you listed above - however, it does not work. You can press the down arrow and keyboard icon for hours and still nothing will come up. The advanced technician is the one who told me that you can only use the virtual keyboard and dictation function when the smart keyboard is disconnected.

May 16, 2019 1:48 PM in response to judi31

I don't particularly like the Smart Keyboard, but I did have one and YES, doing what I provided in Apple's Support Article DOES let you bring up the Onscreen Keyboard. Are you doing the following:

Tap the Down Arrow

Then hold HOLD the down Arrow until you see the icon for the Onscreen Keyboard Appear on your iPad Screen

Tap the Onscreen Keyboard icon and the Onscreen Keyboard will rise up

That's where you tap the dictation key

May 16, 2019 1:52 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Yes, I'm starting to regret having bought it. When I press and hold the down arrow, absolutely nothing happens - I have held it for a long time, I've tapped and then held it, I've held it and tried pressing other icons, nothing. I actually took it into Best Buy this morning to see if they could help and the guy there told me you used to be able to bring it up but with a recent software version, you can't anymore. He tried numerous things with no luck either. Anyone else out there have one and are able to bring up the software keyboard without disconnecting?

Can't use dictation with smart keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.