Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 booting from usb stuck in gray screen after bootcamp support software installation

I resanrly made a Windows 10 bootable hard drive. (In other words with does runs of the hard drive.) Since I logged into windows I installed the bootcamp support software. Wonce it restart it got stuck on a gray screen and I am unable to by pass it.

I have tried everything I would do to by pass it as if I were on a windows computer and everything I I could do on the Mac.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what this is occurring and/or how I can by pass this?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 16, 2019 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2019 7:26 PM

If you have a 2011 or older Mac, there are no Apple-certified W10 drivers.

The only method to get to W10, is by first installing W7/W8.1 and then running an in-place upgrade to W10. This allows the W10 upgrade to grandfather the W7/W8.1 drivers.

Repairing W10 in such configuration is difficult, if you ever need to repair it.

Another option is to install W10 from DVD, if the Mac has a built-in Superdrive.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2019 7:26 PM in response to DrMooks

If you have a 2011 or older Mac, there are no Apple-certified W10 drivers.

The only method to get to W10, is by first installing W7/W8.1 and then running an in-place upgrade to W10. This allows the W10 upgrade to grandfather the W7/W8.1 drivers.

Repairing W10 in such configuration is difficult, if you ever need to repair it.

Another option is to install W10 from DVD, if the Mac has a built-in Superdrive.

Windows 10 booting from usb stuck in gray screen after bootcamp support software installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.