Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing

I Just changed my daughters phone to where we could set up family sharing (she’s 12) when I choose family sharing, then screen time, I get a blank screen. We both have iPhone 8+ on the most current software. I cannot see / set up the screen time under family sharing. Please help!!!!

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on May 16, 2019 8:36 PM

16 replies

May 17, 2019 3:47 PM in response to Naenaetb

OK, I've done some more thinking.

First of all, if you were setting up Screen Time for your child for the first time, I would refer you here, with focus on the "Set Content & Privacy Restrictions" section.

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Also the "Use Screen Time with your Family" section here may well be pertinent:

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You mention you have turned off Screen Time on both iPhones. But perhaps there's something corrupt about the "Family Sharing" relationship, although admittedly you show a screenshot above that correctly shows you as the organizer and your daughter as a family member.

Does your daughter's iPhone depict this relationship correctly as well?

As you may know, a child under age 13, once enrolled in Family Sharing, must remain in a Family Sharing relationship. So perhaps your daughter was previously in some other "Family"? Or perhaps you tried to cancel the Family Sharing to investigate this issue?

May 21, 2019 12:31 PM in response to Naenaetb

Well, you have provided insufficient details about what you’ve done. You said “Reset settings”, which I guess means reset all settings. But more importantly, you’ve identified a Family Sharing issue and have not told us what you’ve done to address it. Have to tried, for example, to re-establish the Family Sharing group? Have you verified the current Family Sharing group exists?

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

May 17, 2019 2:12 PM in response to Naenaetb

It appears to me as if you have posted screen shots from two different iPhones above at various points. It is very important to understand whose iPhone belongs to who.

I suspect this is the way to differentiate the two:

• Your iPhone - shows an AT&T connection in the upper left
  • Your daughter's iPhone - shows "No SIM" in the upper left.

If the above is correct, then in your iPhone, you should be able to turn "On" Screen Time in "Shared Features."

UPDATE - Oops - never mind, as I now realize all the "No SIM" posts are from seanfromllanelli.

But I would still hope you could clarify better as to whose iPhone you are performing which actions on. For example, can you turn "On" Screen Time in "Shared Features" in either iPhone? Which one?

May 17, 2019 4:22 AM in response to sberman

I’ve gone through those steps. 1st I tried setting up screen time limits directly from child’s phone. It works, but the family sharing screen time screen is still blank from my phone (if she were to request more time on an app that’s reached its limit, it doesn’t notify me on my phone). I turned screen time off on child’s phone... family sharing screen time is still blank. If I go to family sharing screen time from her phone it says “you are not sharing your screen time information with any family members. Tap to view your screen time settings and information.” There is not option to share with a family member. I’ve restarted both phones...I’ve tried turning it off and on on both phones... family sharing screen time is still blank. Why is it blank? Why can’t I turn it on like location sharing? What am I missing or doing wrong?

May 17, 2019 3:15 PM in response to sberman

Yes, the no sim screen shot was not mine.

To clarify:

1st I tried setting up screen time limits directly on child’s phone. It works, but the family sharing > screen time screen is still blank from my phone (if she were to request more time on an app that’s reached its limit from her phone, it doesn’t notify me on my phone, it just asks her for the restrictions password). I turned screen time off on child’s phone... family sharing > screen time is still blank on my phone. If I go to family sharing > screen time from her phone it says “you are not sharing your screen time information with any family members. Tap to view your screen time settings and information.” There is not option to share with a family member. I’ve restarted both phones...I’ve tried turning off and back

on both phones... I’ve tried turning screen time off and back on on both phones... family sharing > screen time is still blank from my phone. Hers still gives the “not sharing screen time” notification.

From there I asked... why is it blank? Why can’t I turn it on like location sharing? What am I missing or doing wrong?

Please let me know if this is more clear.

May 21, 2019 1:41 PM in response to sberman

Yes, reset all settings (as suggested previously). There an entire thread from last week (or the weekend) before my post this morning giving details of what I have tried. Are you able to see that? Am I crazy for thinking replying to the thread is the best way opposed to restating the issues? This is my first “help request” so, perhaps, I’m unaware of proper etiquette for this type of forum.

May 21, 2019 3:34 PM in response to Naenaetb

I can see the entire thread, going back to 16 May.

But I am paying particular attention to:

Naenaetb wrote:

I’ll look through both of those links later; thanks for sending. I’ll reply back with the deets!

To me, this sounds like you are going to read the links, and report on the results of trying the suggestions given there. The occurrences before that point become ancient history, and your corrective measures begin anew at that point. That is what I think you’re saying you will report on.

Family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.