Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone locked by network

So I got my phone at Best buy, full price, unlocked. I used for about 6 months a pay as you go unlimited plan by a third party company that uses ATT towers. Now I want to try a different carrier, so I waltz in, happy to be a free bird not abiding by contracts and choose whatever I want only to be told: "your phone is locked, you gonna have to ask for ATT to unlock it"!!! What?! Can anyone explain why would a network that I'm not in any sort of contract with would lock my phone without permission?! Again, the phone was purchased brand new, UNLOCKED. Even the carrier I was using was surprised, said they only work with unlocked phones because they don't have "tools" to lock or unock phones and Apple customer service confirmed the phone got locked by ATT.

Anyone with experience in that area, enlighten me please

iPhone XS Max

Posted on May 16, 2019 10:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2019 3:30 AM

BestBuy doesn't sell unlocked phones. The thing is that they lock to the first carrier you activate an iPhone with.

BestBuy assistant should told you that but it seems like they didn't.

You have to unlock your iPhone now from AT&T t use with another carrier/

1 reply

Phone locked by network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.