Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost iphone

Can I retrieve my text messages from my lost iphone?

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on May 18, 2019 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2019 5:42 PM

If you were using iCloud Messages, then logging in to iCloud on a new iPhone with the Apple ID from the old iPhone, and turning on the Messages option in iCloud settings would download those messages onto the iPhone.

See here: Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

Otherwise, if you had a backup from the old iPhone, it may contain those messages and can be restored onto a new iPhone to access them.

See here: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

If neither of those is true, then there is no way to recover messages.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2019 5:42 PM in response to Vicky1935

If you were using iCloud Messages, then logging in to iCloud on a new iPhone with the Apple ID from the old iPhone, and turning on the Messages option in iCloud settings would download those messages onto the iPhone.

See here: Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

Otherwise, if you had a backup from the old iPhone, it may contain those messages and can be restored onto a new iPhone to access them.

See here: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

If neither of those is true, then there is no way to recover messages.

May 18, 2019 5:38 PM in response to Vicky1935

If you have a backup of the lost phone, you might be able to retrieve them by restoring the backup to another device.

Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup

You can also check your carrier's web site to see if you can access them there.

lost iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.