Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport time capsule

i recently bought the mac mini 2018 and transferred my data from a mac mini 2014 via airport time capsule.

when i opened Time Capsule it asked me if i wanted to 'inherit' from my time capsule[ 3TB 'standup model} and thus i did.

i tried to use it, the Time Capsule was connected, but it tried and tried and it won't backup even though the TC is connected.

i would like to continue with the TC yet i can't seem to do it even though i have read diff articles. so i would like to know how to set it to backup like it was on my previous mac mini.

thanx

richard

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 18, 2019 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2019 1:47 AM

i recently bought the mac mini 2018 and transferred my data from a mac mini 2014 via airport time capsule.

when i opened Time Capsule it asked me if i wanted to 'inherit' from my time capsule[ 3TB 'standup model} and thus i did.

Did you remove the old 2014 Mac from the network?

Did you change the share name of the 2018 Mac? That might help.

Inheriting a back is a really bad idea.

It is very easy to destroy the existing backup. And fail to produce reliable backups over the top.

Since you have already inherited the backup you can try if you want to continue by doing a verify.. hold down the Option key while you click the Time Machine icon in the computer.. the option to verify will appear.. run it and see if it can finish. If so try again to start a backup. If it stalls or fails.. I would wipe the Time Capsule and start a new backup. Do you still have the 2014 Mac Mini.. and is it still working with all your files? If so just wipe the TC .. a quick erase is fine.. and make a new backup from both the old and the new computer.

If you want to keep the existing backup.. archive it to a USB drive before you wipe the TC drive. Archive and Erase are both available on the disk tab of the TC in airport utility.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2019 1:47 AM in response to safed

Did you remove the old 2014 Mac from the network?

Did you change the share name of the 2018 Mac? That might help.

Inheriting a back is a really bad idea.

It is very easy to destroy the existing backup. And fail to produce reliable backups over the top.

Since you have already inherited the backup you can try if you want to continue by doing a verify.. hold down the Option key while you click the Time Machine icon in the computer.. the option to verify will appear.. run it and see if it can finish. If so try again to start a backup. If it stalls or fails.. I would wipe the Time Capsule and start a new backup. Do you still have the 2014 Mac Mini.. and is it still working with all your files? If so just wipe the TC .. a quick erase is fine.. and make a new backup from both the old and the new computer.

If you want to keep the existing backup.. archive it to a USB drive before you wipe the TC drive. Archive and Erase are both available on the disk tab of the TC in airport utility.

airport time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.