Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB speed only 48MB/S on USB (Mojave version 10.14.5)

The max. USB speed on the Mac Pro (Late 2013)

2,7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

Disk Macintosh HD 1TB SSD

AMD FirePro D700 6GB

is only app. 45 MB/S

Has tried every of the 4 connections on the MAC Pro.

How can I get it to run USB3 speed?

Posted on May 19, 2019 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2019 6:45 PM

try an SMC reset:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

7 replies

May 19, 2019 6:42 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi again just for information, on my Lenovo V520 with Windows 10 the disk speed is app 100 MB/S for the WD Passport 4 TB.

I tried also a Samsung SSD drive which run app 200 MB/S on the Lenovo V520 with Windows10.

the same tests

On my MAC Pro the max USB speed on the same disks is max. 40 - 48 MB/S for the WD Passport and for the Samsung SSD drive.

why is the MAC Pro USB speed on the same disks same cables (has original WD supported ) so much slower compared to my Windows computer?

Has never seen a higher speed on the USB on the MAC Pro than 40 - 48 MB/S on any connected device.

For me it looks like my MAC Pro only run the speed for USB2 and never the USB3 speed.

The problem must be related to the MAC Pro!

May 20, 2019 3:14 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi now the MAC Pro runs USB3.

The reset of the System Management controller (SMC) helped.

Now the WD Passport 4TB runs app. 100 - 108 MB/S read writing testing via blackmagic disk speed test.

Secondly I got fooled by a extension cable "good quality" if that is used the max speed 40 - 48 MB/S.

But because the MAC pro speed never changed using the extension cable "before the reset"

the cable "issue" was ignored.

Thanks for the help

USB speed only 48MB/S on USB (Mojave version 10.14.5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.