Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV App on 3rd Generation

The Apple TV app recently appeared on my 3rd Generation Apple TV, and I can't figure out how it's supposed to work. I have subscriptions to HBO and Showtime through DirectTV and, after going through a sign-in process (on a regular basis), I can watch using their dedicated apps. But in the Apple TV app, the only option I get with pay channels is for a free trial. I can't find any way to sign in using my existing account info. Am I missing something? Because it looks to me like the main benefits of using the Apple TV app — having access to multiple channels in one place with one sign-in — only apply if you subscribe to each of the services within the Apple TV app. I still have to use the HBO Go app if I want to watch something on HBO, so the Apple TV app seems pointless.

Apple TV (2nd gen)

Posted on May 19, 2019 8:39 AM

1 reply

May 19, 2019 10:08 AM in response to jabaro

The Apple TV app is for consolidating content from multiple (supported) providers. If you want to stream content directly within the app then you need to subscribe to the Apple TV channels version. You can't port over an existing subscription, you would need to resubscribe and then that subscription would be tied to your Apple ID.

If you have a previous subscription but the provider still supports the TV app then you can still browse it's content within the TV app, have suggestions based on what you watch and have content added to the 'up next' queue, but when you select something to watch it will bounce out to that provider's native app.

Apple TV App on 3rd Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.