Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone does not ring

Phone calls, emails and text alerts do not make a sound.

Do not disturb is not activated, volume is at maximum, ringer rings in settings but not when I get a call.

Allow notifications is on

Alerts: lock screen = ticked, notification centre = ticked, banners = ticked

sounds - on

badges - on

show previews - always

notification grouping - automatic

email and texts - sounds and badges are all on

do not disturb while driving is set to be activated manually

Why does it not make sound alerts for Phone calls, messages or emails?

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on May 19, 2019 3:00 PM

6 replies

May 19, 2019 4:54 PM in response to rainfinches

The duration depends on the ring tone selected, so it is impossible to guess from this distance whether there is a problem. How long is not very long?

For volume, look in Settings/Sounds & Haptics/Change with Buttons. If this is ON it is possible to reduce the ringer volume by using the main volume buttons. My preferred setting for this is Off, so the ringer ignores the buttons during normal use, and follows the volume setting made when selecting the ring tone.

May 19, 2019 11:52 PM in response to Branta_uk

It is set on 'night Owl' sound - it rings for about 5 seconds, stops then rings for another 5 seconds then stops.

Can you tell me which sound option has the longest duration?

It used to fade out after the first second and I changed the bluetooth to off and it doesn't fade now, but two 5 second rings is not long enough unless the phone is right next to me.

'Change with buttons' is off. It still changes though if I use the volume buttons.

May 21, 2019 12:40 AM in response to Branta_uk

Thanks, I didn't touch the phone, it stills rings for about 5 seconds, stops then rings for another 5 seconds then stops.

I checked having bluetooth on - it didn't make it fade out like I said before, so I think your description there is the same for me.

It's OK - at least I can hear it now! and I have picked up several calls since finding the mute switch and the notifications are working.

Many thanks, I'm ok now.

Phone does not ring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.