Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to run Virtualbox after updating to macOS Mojave

I had a problem with my location service in my macOS Mojave, so I decided to reset and successfully reset my macbook, but here is where problems begin. I was unable to install Oracle Virtualbox. I also tried entering into security and privacy and to allow the system extension, but it does not show any options to allow them. I have reset my mac several times, but no use. The location service issue is also not solved yet, that is a different discussion but. I tried reseting my mac to older version of OS X (El Captian), virtualbox worked flawlessly, now I am in macOS Mojave. It is not working. Kindly help me out.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 20, 2019 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2019 2:21 AM

See: Mojave 10.14.5 breaks Virtualbox ? - Apple Community

15 replies

May 21, 2019 2:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The installation failed, but still it allowed me to open the application. When I tried to start my virtual machine, it shows error. Usually it is required to allow the extension in security and privacy section in preference to successfully install Virtualbox. This time it doesn't show the option to allow access in the security and privacy section.

May 21, 2019 1:53 AM in response to Community User

I was reading your post on my iPhone where it is not easy for me to discern the pictures.

I had not realized that you DID install VirtualBox - it is clearly running on your screenshot.

You seem not to be able to successfully run a particular virtual machine inside it.

Apparently, some system extension is being blocked for being "incompatible" with the present system, rather than for security reasons. That may be why it does not show in System Preferences on your screenshot.

I suggest you run Etrecheck and post your report here. There may be other software conflicts that are impacting this, and the report often sheds light on these problems. Use the "additional text" button below the message area and paste the report into it.

May 21, 2019 6:41 AM in response to dialabrain

After I applied more squint to that VB developer code, it all works now. 🤓

Although the guest extensions for macOS are a work in progress, that might take years, so I simply do not use VB for macOS. Parallels appears to run my El Capitan installation well. Still using the v1.3.3 Desktop lite to avoid having to pay Corel a subscription fee for v1.4.0+.

Something I have wanted to do is install VMware's free vSphere hardware VM and run a bunch of OS X/macOS guests from that. Small problem, don't have the hardware here to do that.

May 21, 2019 12:17 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

It is the latest version (6.0.8) downloaded from the Official Oracle Virtualbox website. I have also tried Virtualbox 5.2, it shows the same error message.

May 21, 2019 3:07 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you very much for the fix @dialabrain, but why it is not showing in the GUI under security and privacy where it used to show.

Unable to run Virtualbox after updating to macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.