Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID

I got an email that my Apple ID has been locked and I need to verify it. When I click the email for verification it’s asking for my address and social security number. Is this normal?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on May 21, 2019 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2019 9:43 AM

No. It is a phishing scam. Apple doesn't email to notify you; they do it when you attempt to log in.

Also see: Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

3 replies

May 21, 2019 9:45 AM in response to KaitlynM2

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address.  The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information such as Social Security numbers.

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.