Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"iTunes Device Support Update"?

Anyone know what this is and what version of iTunes is required? A Google search says it is part of an update for Mac OS 10.12.x through 10.14.x.

I have Mac OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and iTunes 12.6.5.3 so I don't know why the MAS notified me.

iMac 21.5", OS X 10.11

Posted on May 21, 2019 2:47 PM

7 replies

May 31, 2019 11:37 AM in response to romad

Got back from a trip over the weekend and was offered this update on an El Cap (10.11.6) Mini.

Applied the update and the machine didn't come back and won't boot from the updated drive. Had to boot off another drive, a clone from a couple of months ago. Am being offered the update there too.

I can't find an official Apple page describing this update, and where it's supposed to apply. Anyone?

May 31, 2019 12:56 PM in response to mwolczko

Well, I installed it on my iMac running Mac OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan) with iTunes 12.6.5.3 and it is working fine.

Supposedly, the iTunes Device Support Update addressed a rare issue that could cause problems with updating and/or restoring devices through iTunes on macOS. This update was not required for Windows versions of iTunes. This update was recommended for any macOS users who use iTunes to update or restore their iOS devices. It ensures that these updates/restores work properly.

"iTunes Device Support Update"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.