Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Apple ID

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help out with this situation. I am wanting to change my Apple ID to my most current email as the one linked with my account is very much out of date and hasn't been used in years. My only issue is that Apple is saying that there is already an account with my current email address therefore won't allow me to change it. I don't recall ever making an account with my current email and I do not have anything connected to that account as I managed to get into the account to have a look. Am I able to completely disable the account so I am able to change my Apple ID and still be able to keep all my purchases etc. and keep the account I have been using for years with my current email address as my Apple ID?

Posted on May 22, 2019 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 3:54 AM

If an email address has been in any way associated with an Apple ID (for example as a contact address) then you can't use it even after it's been removed for a period which we don't know - possibly 30 days, possibly a year - both have been suggested but nobody actually seems to know.

As things stand you won't be able to use the address you want. Howwever I would suggest that it's not a good idea for your sign-in to be the same as the address you give out to people, for scrutiy reasons: you could create a free address such as GMail or Yahoo and use that just as the login.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2019 3:54 AM in response to kylahann21

If an email address has been in any way associated with an Apple ID (for example as a contact address) then you can't use it even after it's been removed for a period which we don't know - possibly 30 days, possibly a year - both have been suggested but nobody actually seems to know.

As things stand you won't be able to use the address you want. Howwever I would suggest that it's not a good idea for your sign-in to be the same as the address you give out to people, for scrutiy reasons: you could create a free address such as GMail or Yahoo and use that just as the login.

May 26, 2019 4:36 AM in response to Eric Root

I know this. I don't want to disable my current account. I would like to disable the account that my current email is attached to as I never recall making an account with that email address. I thought that maybe if I deactivated that one then I may be able to change the Apple ID of my current apple account seeing as the other account would have been disabled. However as Roger stated above unfortunately it can't work like that.

May 26, 2019 4:56 AM in response to kylahann21

The Email address you have initially used to create your Apple ID, from apple point of view is nothing but a label addressing your actual Apple ID, and you can change that under Apple ID setting.

After using an existence email like "me@yahoo.com.au" to crate your Apple ID, apple will create your default email address extracted from your originally used to create your Apple ID, resulting to have an email address with apple as in form of "me@icloud.com" . When ever you login to your iCloud on any device, this email will be available by default.

in your case, I think your best option is to go Apple ID setup page and change your Apple ID to the one you preferred.

Changing Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.