Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The connection to service named com.apple.lsd.modifydb was invalidated"

I have a MacPro Mid 2010 5,1 running 10.13.4, Boot ROM version MP51.0089.B00. I noticed the problem about a month ago when I would be in normal mode and the computer would crash after attempting to do two things at once, like have the internet open, then open a random app...the pizza wheel would spin and I'd have to press the power button to bring it back up. The problem got quickly worse so that every time it would come back up, it would crash after a few minutes. Going into Safe mode however and the Mac seemed to be fine. I checked in Activity Monitor and 'secd' and 'lsd' both took up over 120% of the CPU. In Console I kept getting the continual message "The connection to service named com.apple.lsd.modifydb was invalidated". I noticed that the Security Update 2019-002 10.13.6 was available so I tried to do the update thinking that this might help, and although it would go through the motions of downloading and restarting, the Mac was still in 10.13.4 with the update still in the 'Updates Available' area of the app store. I then booted into Recovery Mode and ran Disk Utility and ran First Aid on all my volumes and everything came back ok. I also used my original start up disk and ran the extended Apple Hardware Test, and after an hour and half, it came back as okay as well. I also tried to install the Combo version of the High Sierra, but this also either did not help or update the computer. Finally tried a PRAM and SMC reset, in addition to a virus scan, which also came back as clean. Now run out of ideas I thought I'd do a clean install of High Sierra so I wiped my SSD (which I use for the OS and apps) and my HDD (to store everything else) and reinstalled it using a USB backup. With just High Sierra installed, and nothing else, the computer would work fine, no issues at all. So I decided to bring back everything from a Time Machine backup from over a month ago (when I believed my system was running okay), but it's back to the same constant "The connection to service named com.apple.lsd.modifydb was invalidated" message in Console with Activity Monitor Showing CPU usage at over 120% for 'secd', basically right where I started again. A call into Apple offered no help since they said I've done pretty much everything that they would have suggested. Is there anything else that I can do?? Please help!!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 22, 2019 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 8:17 AM

Hello,

˜What all 3rd party extensions are you running?

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Use the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Similar questions

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2019 8:17 AM in response to NeedMacHelpPls

Hello,

˜What all 3rd party extensions are you running?

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

Use the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

May 23, 2019 8:57 AM in response to NeedMacHelpPls

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

You may have better luck doing all this in Safe Mode.

Avast has been known to cause big problems in OSX. Remove per their instructions.

Get rid of any Symantec/Norton items.

Unistall Trusteer.

Do you really need WD drivers? Dealing with NTFS volumes maybe?

I'd remove all those Startup Items: except the FXLicense Manager.

Whew, f-secure also??? more than 1 Anti-virus app is plenty of problems, no idea on f-secure itself.

Oh wait... fsavd (10) 626.04 % (? - /usr/local/f-secure/fssp/sbin)... uninstall it.

I'd remove the very old...

com.micromat.TechToolProDaemon.plist

com.prosofteng.DriveGenius.locum.plist

xxx.qnation.PeerGuardian.locum.plist

OH NO, get rid of MacKeeper!

o1dbrowserplugin is a fake plugin a disguised replacement for oldbrowserplugin

Delete all those plists under Executable not found.

To get rid of Spigot Searchme, try  Malwarebytes…

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/ m

May 25, 2019 9:54 PM in response to BDAqua

So it took me a while but I did everything in the list you recommended. The problem with the computer crashing shortly after rebooting each time I believe has resolved itself, however when I check Activity Monitor, 'secd' still occupies over 123% CPU usage for about the first five minutes after reboot, but then it goes away. I hope that this is okay?

The one big issue I still face is that I can't get my Mac to update past 10.13.4. I have tried multiple times to update to the High Sierra 10.13.6 update, but each time after going through the motions of downloading and restarting, it just doesn't work.

Another issue is that my Time Machine icon doesn't always appear on my desktop after rebooting sometimes. This is an internal drive so I'm not sure why the computer doesn't recognize it every time, even though it has appeared and worked to backup in the past couple of days. It just seems to be completely random whether it appears or not - before all these recent issues, I had absolutely no problems with it.

I'm also curious, since I've now deleted all of my antivirus software from my Mac, what should I be using to protect my computer? Is there one actually recommended out there in the Apple community?

Thanks again for all of your help!

May 25, 2019 10:12 PM in response to NeedMacHelpPls

Hi again, good work so far! :)

secd is the "security daemon", so not a problem exactly, why it takes so long might be.

Are you using the Appstore version to update or the standalone Combo & Security updates?

It can throw me for a good loop too...

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8429&p=112236#p112236

Well 2 tools that are safe & do not interfere with you or the OS...

There is also Malwarebytes…

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

May 28, 2019 9:20 PM in response to BDAqua

So I tried the 10.13.6 Combo update from Apple, but after going through the motions, still no luck to change from 10.13.4.

Also, before I did this, my Time Machine was back on the desktop, and it successfully did a backup, but after attempting the update and rebooting, it disappeared again! One final issue, in Activity Monitor, after about 5 minutes when 'secd' finally disappears, my CPU is now being taken up by 'safaribookmarkssyncagent'. One problem for another! :/

I read through your own troubles of trying to update through the link you sent me, but I'm kinda at a loss as to exactly what you did to finally get it to work....would you be able to repeat those steps here, for myself and for anyone else who might be having the same trouble?

Also, any idea on who to get my Time Machine to stay on my desktop, and how to get rid of that annoying 'safaribookmarkssyncagent' high cpu usage bug?

Thanks so much for your assistance!!

Jun 2, 2019 9:06 PM in response to BDAqua

Sorry for the delay...

I don't really use Safari, only Firefox, so it's not open, and even though I didn't knowingly set up iCloud, when I went in into System Preferences to uncheck the box to turn it off (after finding out how to do that!), it seemed to have maxed out at the 5GB that Apple gives you. I turned it off, and still have SafariBooksSyncAgent at the top of my Activity Monitor while in Safe Mode. Diagnosticd, Windowserver, and Secd were also above 100% after boot up, but eventually went away after about 10 minutes. Now I'm left with the 'Safari...' message still at the top with just under 100% usage.

Time Machine did come back on my desktop in Safe Boot though, and actively went into backing up right away.

Yes I do have an external drive that I can use.

Thanks again.

Jun 2, 2019 9:36 PM in response to NeedMacHelpPls

Follow up...

I booted back into regular mode, and boom, SafariBooksSyncAgent was gone from Activity Monitor! I guess signing out of the iCloud that I didn't know I even had solved that one. My Time Machine was also back on my desktop, but as I said before, it's been kind of random as to whether it appears or not, so I just might have been lucky this time?

'Secd' is still at the top of Activity Monitor right after boot up though, with the same "The connection to service named com.apple.lsd.modifydb was invalidated" message over and over again in Console, until it finally goes away after about five minutes.

Jun 2, 2019 10:47 PM in response to NeedMacHelpPls

Well, some progress! :)

On Secd, are you using any iCloud, like iCloud Keychain, secd is the "security daemon".

Looking at the Info in Activity Monitor it almost exclusively deals with Keychain.

I was able to fix this by going to the iCloud settings panel and beginning the process to enable iCloud Keychain (entered a password, but cancelled before completing).

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/54gpmo/process_secd_always_at_95100_cpu_usage_sierra/d88v542/

Jun 3, 2019 8:16 PM in response to BDAqua

According to the instructions, I need to begin the process to enable iCloud keychain. Is this done by going into Preferences>iCloud, then clicking on the checkmark beside Keychain? Mine already had a check beside it, and when I went to uncheck it, it said if I did it that it would delete all passwords and credit card info from my computer, which I don't really want to do as this would remove the autofill on sites that I need it. Is there perhaps another way of accomplishing this? As I mentioned before, the 'secd' seems to go away on it's own now after about 5 minutes, so I guess it's not causing too much trouble anyways?

Just wondering though about unenabling iCloud altogether, as I did the other day to get rid of the 'SafariBooksSyncAgent' issue. Isn't this only a temporary measure? Does that mean if I actually wanted to use iCloud then I'd be stuck with that problem? There must be a more permanent solution?

However, I'm still unable to update to 10.13.6.... are you able to list the procedure to enable this?

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2019 11:57 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for checking on that keychain issue for me. It must have been something we checked on a long time ago under some setup page, but I was unware it was something I was actually using until now!

As far as the OS update, on my Mac I use an SSD drive for my OS and apps, and another regular HDD to store all my movies, photos, etc, and another HDD for my Time Machine, all being internal.

Jun 4, 2019 8:09 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes, that is exactly the screen that I got! But I’m a bit confused...so if I hit “Delete from this Mac” but then bring the file back from TM, I should be okay? And also why is it asking to delete from my Mac when this screen is within the iCloud preferences? You would think if I wanted to delete from iCloud, it should retain the file on the Mac?? And where in TM do I retrieve this file from?

"The connection to service named com.apple.lsd.modifydb was invalidated"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.