Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing Disk - Could not open device

I am trying to wipe my old MacBook Pro to give to my aunt. When I try to erase the disk, it says

Unmounting disk

Couldn't open device

What do I do?

thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 23, 2019 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2019 1:30 PM

It sounds like you are trying to erase it either booted up into it normally, or booted up into regular Recovery Mode (Utilities) off of the hard drive itself. You aren't able to erase it in either case since you are booted up off the drive you are literally trying to erase.

To wipe it out and reinstall it fresh for your Aunt you'll want to boot up into Internet Recovery Mode (OPTION-COMMAND-R or SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND-R, if it was running or a more recent macOS).

Either way, it takes about 5-10 minutes to load via Internet-based recovery, but that gives you the full unfettered access to the drive this process requires. You should see a spinning globe similar to this:

If it comes up in only a minute or less, you are not in Internet Recovery, but in normal recovery and should try the other keyboard combination.

You can follow these directions:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2019 1:30 PM in response to Mvbreton

It sounds like you are trying to erase it either booted up into it normally, or booted up into regular Recovery Mode (Utilities) off of the hard drive itself. You aren't able to erase it in either case since you are booted up off the drive you are literally trying to erase.

To wipe it out and reinstall it fresh for your Aunt you'll want to boot up into Internet Recovery Mode (OPTION-COMMAND-R or SHIFT-OPTION-COMMAND-R, if it was running or a more recent macOS).

Either way, it takes about 5-10 minutes to load via Internet-based recovery, but that gives you the full unfettered access to the drive this process requires. You should see a spinning globe similar to this:

If it comes up in only a minute or less, you are not in Internet Recovery, but in normal recovery and should try the other keyboard combination.

You can follow these directions:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Erasing Disk - Could not open device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.