Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound Library - HELP! additional content always needed!

Help - I've been using Logic for many years (since about Logic 5!) and Logic Pro X for a couple of years. Recently I found that the Sound Library was taking up too much of my laptop memory, so for the first time moved it (from within the workspace) to an external drive.

Since then, every time I start Logic I need to download additional content. This is despite having the full sound library already downloaded.

In the sound library manager I can see that there is nothing more to be downloaded; however when some instruments in my project don't play, I look in the sound library for that particular track, and I discover loads of samples with the circle and download arrow meaning that they can't be found and the project thinks they need to be downloaded AGAIN.

This is happening with every project, every day, with every restart of Logic, and it's driving me nuts.

Does anyone have any idea how to make Logic see that these downloads already exist?

I figured I might move the sound library back to my laptop hard disk, because I never had any issues there. But even though I have 80GB free space on the laptop, Logic is telling me I have only 44GB, so I can't do that apparently.

Anyone? Help! Please!

PB

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 24, 2019 9:16 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 25, 2019 12:14 PM in response to PABoy

Ah, yeah, I've not dealt with this in awhile, but it just hit me. You can put it all on external drive, but not with an alias. Very unstable. Go here and ready about how to move your Library without using an Alias and having much better stability.

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4/#/lgcpf77e757d

Relocate the Sound Library

Choose Logic Pro > Sound Library > Relocate Sound Library.

The Relocate Sound Library window opens, showing available drives and the free space available on each. Unsuitable drives are dimmed, with the reason for their unsuitability shown in the Comments column.

Select the new Sound Library location, then click Relocate.

The Sound Libary is relocated to the selected location. If other music creation apps such as GarageBand or MainStage are open, you are asked to close them before relocation can proceed.

When relocation is complete, the Relocate Sound Library window closes.

May 25, 2019 7:22 AM in response to BenB

Hey, it's OS 10.14.5 and LPX 10.4.4

Interestingly, if I start up LPZ without the external drive, it tells me that the Sound Library directory cannot be found - so I guess it does realise that the Sound Library lives on the external drive.

If I go to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Logic I find that there is an alias folder ...

If I go to my External Drive > Library > Application Support > Logic > Sampler Instruments there are instruments there too.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much.

May 25, 2019 12:22 PM in response to BenB

Thanks Ben - that's how this mess all started. I relocated the sound library exactly as advised (Choose Logic Pro > Sound Library > Relocate Sound Library) and that moved the sound library to the external drive.

If an alias folder was added to my hard drive, I didn't do it - LPX must have done it.

So I'm no further on - in fact, when I just opened LPX now it welcomed me to Logic as a new user, with an 8 hour download time for 'essential' sounds.

No idea what to do - except delete the sound library and download again onto my hard drive and give up on the external disk as a storage solution.

May 25, 2019 3:06 PM in response to PABoy

Launching LPX without the external drive on could mess things up. I'd simply do the Relocate command inside of LPX again, simply re-establish where it is.

If you do need to re-download, don't. It'd be faster to simply copy the necessary folders from your external drive to the internal drive. Logic will see them, as it is obviously already looking there.

In Final Cut we can delete preferences, but I don't know that Logic works that way. It's a bit more complex.

Before doing anything so drastic as moving stuff, post on this forum. It is dedicated to LPX and the moderators are really well versed and good at troubleshooting. For Logic, I'd rate the forum linked below way over this one. IMHO

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/

Sound Library - HELP! additional content always needed!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.