Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Activation Lock - Activation Required"

This morning, I just turned on my iPad Mini and it now shows a screen that says "Activation Lock". Upon doing some research, this is a Find My iPhone feature to prevent someone from accessing your personal information. If I try to leave the Activation Lock by pressing the home button, it says that the "iPad has not been set up yet."

My main concern is if all my data is lost, such as photos, videos, important notes and GarageBand projects. The iPad Mini is a 1st generation with 16 GB of storage space.

I would appreciate an answer to all of this.

Warm regards,

Brody Jurado

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on May 24, 2019 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2019 3:22 PM

Once you're asked for Activation Lock, the only remedy is to enter the original owner's Apple ID and password. (By "original owner", I mean the Apple ID you are likely given a hint about; e.g., "ab*****@gmail.com".)

If you cannot enter this information, there is no way to unlock the iPad.

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Regarding losing data, presumably you have backed up all data worth saving. If you do unlock the iPad, you will retrieve whatever data it had.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2019 3:22 PM in response to brodyfrompomona

Once you're asked for Activation Lock, the only remedy is to enter the original owner's Apple ID and password. (By "original owner", I mean the Apple ID you are likely given a hint about; e.g., "ab*****@gmail.com".)

If you cannot enter this information, there is no way to unlock the iPad.

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Regarding losing data, presumably you have backed up all data worth saving. If you do unlock the iPad, you will retrieve whatever data it had.

May 24, 2019 2:28 PM in response to brodyfrompomona

brodyfrompomona wrote:

I would appreciate an answer to all of this.

Sorry, I do not know what "all of this" means. What exactly is your question?

If you're asking for more details about Activation Lock:

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Or perhaps you're asking about how to back up and restore your data.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

May 24, 2019 3:14 PM in response to sberman

Sorry about that, I'm looking to remove the Activation Lock off of my iPad. I was watching a video on YouTube and then the iPad rebooted and an Activation Lock screen popped up, saying that I need to enter the Apple ID and password linked with the iPad. I didn't want to do so as I was afraid that I would lose all my data and/or the possibility of being tricked into giving a hacker personal information. I pressed the "<Back" button and it took me to a screen that says "It may take a few minutes to activate your iPad." However, I cannot seem to get out of this screen.

I didn't even initiate anything in the bounds of Find My iPhone, so I'm not sure why this message would be popping up. Should I hold the Power and Home button for 10 sec for a force restart or is there something else that can be done to remove the lock?

"Activation Lock - Activation Required"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.