Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari on Macbook not working

Safari on my Macbook Pro running Mojave 10.14.5 is not responding. When I open the browser and try to click anything, it makes the "boop" noise when something can't be done. I can click the menus, but a majority of the options are grayed out and not clickable. I can't exit by clicking the X or by quitting from the menu. I can't open the option in the menu to clear cache or history either. I have to force quit it in order to close it. I've restarted my Mac and downloaded the most recent updates and nothing will fix it. Every time I open it its still stuck on the same page and will not respond to anything. What can I do?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 24, 2019 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2019 7:01 PM

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2019 7:01 PM in response to brio3

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

May 24, 2019 10:28 PM in response to Eric Root

I'm having an identical problem. I've tried rebooting, turning Safari off in iCloud, and manually deleting the Safari plist, but the problem persists. On my machine it's opening a modal dropdown window asking if I want to import bookmarks from Firefox, but then the dropdown immediate retracts. The app acts like the modal is still present, though, and prevents any interaction. If I could find a way to bring focus back to the modal to make it go away...

May 24, 2019 10:35 PM in response to nadrojksc

I was able to fix this by holding shift while starting Safari; this kept the modal around long enough for me to interact and dismiss it, and it hasn't come back in a regular launch since. The only extension I have enabled in Safari is 1Password (the local version, not 1Password X) - maybe some sort of bad interaction there with the "import from other browser" flow?

Safari on Macbook not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.