Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't watch 4k movies on new i9 27" iMac??

So.. I purchased a brand new top of line 27" i9 iMac for the office. And I can't watch 4k movies I've purchased via my home 4k Apple TV on it??? Why?

Posted on May 24, 2019 5:38 PM

10 replies

May 24, 2019 10:50 PM in response to David K. Gross

Macs have never been TV's, Apple has never advertised them as TVs so I'm a little confused as to why you might think you could watch TV on your Mac.

Your Apple TV is designed to play content on a television, if you bought a Apple TV 4K and you want to watch 4K content from the Apple TV, at a minimum that will require a 4K TV and 4K content on the Apple TV. The good news is 4K TVs have dropped in price and can be stunning to view. Your iMac is a computer and it is designed to do computing tasks.

May 24, 2019 11:22 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I see your point. However, If all the rest of my iTunes purchases (music/podcasts,etc) are available on my computer and other devices to watch/listen to, why aren’t the 4K movies I purchase via iTunes available?

It’s just digital content. And the iMac is certainly capable of playing it.

I totally gst the DRM/copyright/illegal sharing/ copying ssues though. That makes sense to me.

can't watch 4k movies on new i9 27" iMac??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.