Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac keyboard does not work except start button

Keyboard of 13” macbook pro (2015) does not respond. Only start key works and I only can switch off/on my macbook and can get to sleep mode. nothing else!

I cannot reboot to safe mode, and cannot start using my mac as I cannot use keyboard and mousepad!

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on May 25, 2019 3:32 AM

2 replies

May 25, 2019 6:07 PM in response to fatihkvlk

Hello fatihkvlk,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your MacBook Pro keyboard. I am happy to help.

1. Restart your Mac. See if this helps. If at the login screen, click Restart under where you input the password. You state that the keyboard and mousepad aren't working, I think you mean the trackpad. Can you connect a USB or bluetooth mouse and/or keyboard to the computer to test?

2. If possible, test in Recovery.  About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

"Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R"

3. If you are unable to get into Recovery, or the keyboard and trackpad are also not working in Recovery, I recommend having the computer hardware checked at an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store. If possible, I recommend making a backup before your appointment: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Also, you will need to have your Apple ID and password handy when visiting a service provider. Check this help article under the bottom section titled "Get ready for service" for other items to ensure you are prepared: Mac Service and Repair - Apple Support

"Get ready for service

Before you return your Mac to us, be sure to enable FileVault and back up your data. You may need the backup if your Mac needs to be reformatted during the repair process. Apple isn't responsible for lost data.

Read the Apple privacy policy"

You can find a service provider using this link: Apple Find Locations

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

mac keyboard does not work except start button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.