Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wired ethernet conn

Can’t connect to wired Ethernet through 2017 12” MacBook with USB C Ethernet adapter

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 25, 2019 9:30 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

May 26, 2019 8:07 AM in response to woodyc

The other potential issue is not a bad modem, but that you didn't allow this modem to initialize with your Mac.

I suggest you try the following before replacing the modem:

1. Power down both the modem and the MacBook.
  2. Connect the MacBook to the modem with an Ethernet cable and the USB-C/Ethernet adapter.
  3. Power up the modem. Wait at least 10-15 mins to allow the modem to initialize.
  4. Power up the MacBook, and then, check for Internet connectivity.

May 25, 2019 2:42 PM in response to woodyc

FWIW, I currently have both the Apple USB-C to Ethernet adapter and one from OWC that also has additional USB 2.0 ports. Both provide Ethernet connectivity when used with my 2017 MacBook.

I suggest that you double-check to see if Ethernet is at the top of the network connectors choices in System Preferences > Network on your MacBook.

Does Ethernet even appear in the list? By default, with the adaptor disconnected, you would only see Wi-Fi and Bluetooth PAN for these options.

May 26, 2019 4:25 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks so much for your reply. This was the first time I tried to connect a new MacBook with a wired Ethernet connection. I had terrible WiFi speeds and was trying to narrow the problem down.

I plugged the Mac with the USB C / Ethernet adapter into my Surfboard Cable modem and I kept getting an error message that it wasn’t plugged in and I had no internet.

i borrowed another Surfboard modem from a friend, tried it and it immediately connected and problem was solved! It must have been the bad modem that was not allowing the connection.

Thanks again

Woody

wired ethernet conn

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.