Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac sleep wake failure

I have an iMac 2017. After sleep it never wakes up, instead it needs to be powered back on.

On wake I see a sleep wake failure popup. A sample of the report it generates is attached.

Any ideas?

Posted on May 27, 2019 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2019 10:04 AM

Based on the report, the Thunderbolt port failed to initialize and caused the kernel panic.

At this point, I would suggest that you run Apple Diagnostics to see if it uncovers any hardware issues with your iMac.

If it does not, then I would recommend resetting your Mac's SMC.

10 replies

May 27, 2019 10:19 AM in response to Leon Roy

After taking Tesserax's good advice, if your Sleep issue still isn't sorted know that I gave up on the Sleep function years ago. Ever since the inception of OS X there have been Sleep related issues. And even more lately.

I just use Display Sleep and keep it set for 15 minutes so I'm not burning the screen. That way your Mac uses very little power over Sleep and is ready to use at the touch of a key without any grogginess. UNIX based systems were made to be always on and they’ve been running busy servers 24/7 for decades.

Jun 9, 2019 1:31 AM in response to SeaPapp

Thanks, after a week the app corrupted itself and won't even open to uninstall itself. I found the following script in the SamsungPortableSSD.app's Contents/Resources folder CleanupAll.scpt which goes through and removes all traces of Samsung's software.

Here's what I ran to stop/remove the kext:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/SamsungPortableSSDDriver.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/SamsungPortableSSDDriver.kext

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/SamsungPortableSSDDriverX.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/SamsungPortableSSDDriverX.kext

iMac sleep wake failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.