Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

smb 10.14.5

Since upgrading to 10.14.5 all of our shares are unstable. A few searches locks up the client computer and all others. The only solution is to restart the host. Moving files does the same. Originally thought this was an index issue, so we reverted to a 3rd party program to search the shares. Seems to help in the short run. So far what we have tried:

1. Re installing the update. - no help
  2. Updating client to 10.14. - no help
  3. defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool TRUE on the client computer doing the searches. Seemed to help for a short time.

This has brought our network to a grinding halt.

We had smb only and have turned smb and afp back on.

Any suggestions would be great. Rolling back to 10.14.4 is complicated as you have to wipe the drive and I will lose all data since the update.

Thank you,

Debbie

Posted on May 28, 2019 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2019 8:01 AM

you can try this

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208209

honestly I have rolled back to AFP for the users I support at my job and I'm washing my hands of SMB on mac, it's too limiting. If thats not an option then make sure you have one connection type communicating over your network. SMB and AFP do not behave over the same network as you may find.

try easy find in the apple store for a smb search app

Similar questions

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2019 8:01 AM in response to singerdf

you can try this

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208209

honestly I have rolled back to AFP for the users I support at my job and I'm washing my hands of SMB on mac, it's too limiting. If thats not an option then make sure you have one connection type communicating over your network. SMB and AFP do not behave over the same network as you may find.

try easy find in the apple store for a smb search app

May 30, 2019 9:56 AM in response to singerdf

running something like this here for a 20 user share so my $0.02:

Make sure you have a trusted backup then put all the data on a clean external usb 3.0 drive and ignore ownership on that volume. Outside of accessing HD video files over the network the speed difference of data transfer over SATA or USB distributed to network users is not going to be an issue

Run AFP only; it's less traffic accidents to run one protocol if Mac is your only platform.

Yes AFP has not been supported by Apple for some time but my understanding is Apples implementation of SMB had to be modified so it's code did not directly copy proprietary and intellectual info from Microsoft. As a result Apples SMB is not going to behave like anyone else's. In other words it's ****

Once the shared data is on the external and verified your backup use Recovery and restore the "server" with the OS it came with using recovery

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Ditch any "sever" upgrades. macOS is going to have more development quality control than server OS.

Patch that OS and setup your shares

maintain a Time Machine backup of the data and get a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner (bomich.com)

Once your boot HD is configured you should clone it to an external and then detach it and store it.

Run a nightly CCC copy of your data drive.

In the event of a catastrophe you can stick the boot drive on that mac or a spare and you don't' need to restore all your data, just plug in the clone if it comes down to it. This is minutes of downtime vs hours or possibly days.

As of now what is your recovery plan if that iMac doesn't boot one morning?

Jun 15, 2019 4:09 AM in response to RM-prepress

Running into the same issue here.

After the update to 10.14.5 on a mac mini 2018 I had to restart the smb filesharing server up to 10 times a day.

Thats very frustating. Since several years I use the smbd from apple to serve my 5 imacs with filesharing. It was allways slow, but as Apple told us that they will stop serving file with afp I stick to smb.

But now I switched to afp only for the shares I am using with the iMacs.

And stick with smb only for shares I use with windows PC.

Right no this look like a viable solution.

I had contact to the apple support, talking with them for an hour. The first person even asked What is SMB? At the end I was told that the first level support has no deeper information and also had never heard about this issue.. I should ask https://consultants.apple.com/de/, meanI should pay for support for an bug Apple introduced with the last update.

The is no second level support anymore, as in former times. Thats very disappointing.

Apple should be able to invest in the software quality especially for such an important task as filesharing.

Jul 18, 2019 5:58 AM in response to singerdf

One has a suspicion that Apple these days think users either are -

• Home users (and therefore not using a file server)
  • Internet based startups using SAAS and cloud services and related things like GitHub and hence again not using traditional file servers

They seem to have completely forgotten the huge majority of business and education customers who do still need to use traditional file servers. :(

(One can presume Apple themselves heavily use cloud services although not iCloud other than for individual use ;) )

May 28, 2019 8:42 AM in response to singerdf

Just to get this straight in my mind, you are saying your "server" is what

has been upgraded to 10.14.5?

"...Rolling back to 10.14.4 is complicated as you have to wipe the drive and I will lose all data since the update..."

You mean to say you have a "server" in your system and it has no Time Machine or other daily incremental backups

or any other scheme to quickly recover from issues?

May 31, 2019 2:38 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

As I recall the sad story was that originally Apple used the open source SAMBA software. Originally this was covered by a GPL 2.0 license which Apple felt able to abide by. However the SAMBA team switched to using GPLE 3.0 which Apple felt unable to work with.

See - https://www.networkworld.com/article/2292472/samba-switches-to-gplv3.html

Again as I recall whilst Apple did not make much if any of an official announcement it was widely viewed that Apple and other corporations viewed GPL 3.0 as incompatible with their being a profit making business. This is allegedly because of a belief that this makes it necessary to share back their own proprietary software.

Apple then wrote their own SMB implementation as a replacement which is generally known under the name SMBx.

SAMBA even back then had had many years of development to smooth off any rough edges whereas Apple's having to be written from scratch was certainly at the beginning 'troublesome'. Even now many years latter there are still numerous issues with Apple's SMBx although not as many. There is also a loss of functionality that still exists and is very unlikely to ever be addressed especially with the continued castration of Server.app.

A Mac acting as a 'server' for SMB file shares can in theory do server side Spotlight indexing which is what the original post discusses. I found even AFP shares became increasingly problematic for this over the years as newer macOS server releases occurred.

It is in theory possible to set up a Linux server running SAMBA and have it do Spotlight indexing. See - https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Spotlight you might want to consider this as an option.

In theory something similar is possible with a genuine Windows Server but not for free. It would require using Acronis Files Connect. See - https://kb.acronis.com/content/48794

I believe that over the years sometimes voluntarily and sometimes under pressure during the period when Microsoft was being investigated for anti-competitive practises that licenses and access to Windows source code were given to the SAMBA team so they could provide better compatibility. This is probably linked to SAMBA 4.0 being able to add Active Directory support.

With Apple's Server.app becoming more of a joke most people these days consider using a Linux VM as a replacement or purchasing a NAS box. A Synology NAS makes a good choice from a Mac point of view.

May 31, 2019 3:18 AM in response to singerdf

Wow. You are wealth of knowledge. So we spent the last 24 hr trying to roll back to 10.14.3 with no success. It seems all of the restore points for Mojave were filled with errors. We were able to restore to high Sierra and will see how that behaves today.

In response to your comments: in true Apple form, they have decided how the user should use the technology. We were mostly prepared for the Server.app changes. We moved calendar and messages. The messages works fine thru Apple ID and iCloud. Calendar is a huge mess and 8 months of tier 3 support resulted in no change. Apples last comment to me was Apple ID were not for business.

I am a very long time Apple user and proud of that fact. But I can now say I am frustrated. If I need to hook up a NAS drive what is the point of the iMac. In today’s day and age, we mine as well move to a cloud system.

In regards to how this thread started, I feel Apple was not upfront about Mojave, SMB, and the depreciation of the server.app. They have left my client unable to work. Let’s not forget there is now NO WAY to set inherit ACL permissions on a shared folder in the server.app or the propagate permissions on file sharing. So after rebuilding our system from scratch as was told to me by Apple, we can do no work.

I can can truly say I am lost. We are a small company running 98% on Apple. We have no dedicated IT department. This was possible in the past.

I happened to read about Acronis. I have used their products in the past on a PC. I have no knowledge about NAS drives or LINUX. If I am going to move outside the Mac Environment?....

Again, I am so Thankful for your help and patience with me.

I will I’ll keep you posted after we see how today goes.

Debbie

May 31, 2019 3:25 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Thank you for the reply. We spent the day yesterday trying to restore to 10.14.3. No luck. Ended up wiping the drive and rebuilding the whole system with 10.14.5. Same issues. Every single Time Machine restore point for Mojave resulted in errors. We did restore a different iMac to high Sierra. We will see. We do use Time Machine and have 3 additional backups of our data.

Shame me on me for not completely understanding 10.4.5.

As as you can see we are at a decision point on how to set up and support file sharing.

Many sleepness nights right now

debbie

May 31, 2019 3:48 AM in response to singerdf

We are facing the exact same problem on two totally different networks.

All devices are running 10.14.5. One Server is running macOS10.14.5 (18F132) and the other server is running ubuntu 18.04.2 with Netatalk 3.1.12.

The only solution in our case was to completely disable Samba on the macOS server. The ubuntu one is not that important so no further investigation took place.

May 31, 2019 6:03 AM in response to AdrianKirchner

If your drive is formatted APFS then AFP will not work. Since our shares are on the internal drive of the iMac and when we updated to Mojave the format changed that is not an option. Furthermore, there is ZERO support for AFP. Long term that is not a viable solution. In addition, we have 2 PCs that need access so SMB would have to be on for those.

Debbie

Jun 6, 2019 10:07 AM in response to singerdf

Same problem for me also. SMB shares will not stay mounted very long.

Very frustrating.

macOS 10.14.4 was working perfect and as soon as i updated our MacMini, which shares out about a dozen folders to about a dozen users, SMB stopped working or became intermittent but once down will not come back without jumping through rings of fire...and then down again.

Used Time Machine backup to get back to 10.14.4 and all is well again.

I have discovered many others with the same issue via web searches.

Jun 15, 2019 4:19 AM in response to tom_stu

It is comforting and unfortunate that I am not the only person who has encountered this behavior. We actually bought a new iMac thinking this would solve the problem. Indeed it did not. What I am struggling with, is Apple's desire to force users to iCloud. While that works great on a personal level, I am an ardent user, it is not a solution on the business level as Apple has told me numerous times.

While I had the same idea to revert back to AFP it is not an option in Mojave it seems if your drive is AFPS. That happened with out my knowing. So AFP was not an option in my case.

We have chosen to use a 3rd party to move all of our file sharing to the cloud. This is not ideal either and certainly has costs we did not incur before.

I am both saddened and troubled with our path forward at this time.

Debbie

smb 10.14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.