Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer data from water damaged iPhone X to new iPhoneX

My iPhoneX shows no sign of life and has not been backed up. How can I recover all of its data to transfer to my new iPhoneX?

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on May 29, 2019 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2019 7:19 PM

If it is dead and won’t power on, and you have no existing iCloud nor iTunes backup, then there is no data saved anywhere to transfer to the new device. You cannot restore a backup that does not exists. And you cannot create a backup from a device that is dead.

As is always the case, backups need to be made, and kept up to date, before a device dies. After it dies, you’re just plain out of luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2019 7:19 PM in response to SN55

If it is dead and won’t power on, and you have no existing iCloud nor iTunes backup, then there is no data saved anywhere to transfer to the new device. You cannot restore a backup that does not exists. And you cannot create a backup from a device that is dead.

As is always the case, backups need to be made, and kept up to date, before a device dies. After it dies, you’re just plain out of luck.

Transfer data from water damaged iPhone X to new iPhoneX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.