Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS Speed indicating high

I noticed the following issue in my Ford F-150.

Waze (and any other gps/speed enabled app I have) is indicating at least 10% high. Unplug from CarPlay... indicated speed drops down to accurate. Plug back in.... speed increases to at least 10% too high.

Im on the latest IOS and the latest Ford Sync. I tried multiple models iPhones. They all show the same behavior.

Postings on Reddit r/waze seems to indicate that I’m not the only one with this.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on May 29, 2019 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2019 10:06 PM

I can confirm that an original Apple cable does NOT solve the problem. For me at least.

Jpriley01: do you happen to drive a Ford? I do and noticed several other Ford drivers reporting the issue.

Also so found a posting in the App Store for a GPS app from over a year ago where someone posted about the same problem. Originally thought to be an app problem he interacted with the developers but ultimately concluded that a USB charging port was ok but a ‘connected’ port caused the GPS reading to go high. (I believe it was a Cadillac)

While annoying I probably can live with it.

That said... side thought...

i wonder if anyone ever got in trouble for speeding based on forensic data of the phone. If so... that can/should be challenged now knowing external items can mess with the GPS speed.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2019 10:06 PM in response to jpriley01

I can confirm that an original Apple cable does NOT solve the problem. For me at least.

Jpriley01: do you happen to drive a Ford? I do and noticed several other Ford drivers reporting the issue.

Also so found a posting in the App Store for a GPS app from over a year ago where someone posted about the same problem. Originally thought to be an app problem he interacted with the developers but ultimately concluded that a USB charging port was ok but a ‘connected’ port caused the GPS reading to go high. (I believe it was a Cadillac)

While annoying I probably can live with it.

That said... side thought...

i wonder if anyone ever got in trouble for speeding based on forensic data of the phone. If so... that can/should be challenged now knowing external items can mess with the GPS speed.

Jul 1, 2019 3:45 AM in response to rgeurt

I have same problem, iOS 12.3.1, Ford Fusion 2017, SYNC3 last version, on my video you see speed in KMh, 140kmh real speed but CarPlay say its 161 kmh!! FIX this bug please!

The main problem is that the navigator constantly distracts you with a message about speeding, although the actual speed corresponds to the limit!

It does not matter what application is used, a bug in waze, sygic and others!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxX3jOM8DmI

May 30, 2019 12:43 PM in response to rgeurt

I have the same issue even with the original Apple Lightning cord. Using an iPhone X on 12.3.1 and all apps are up to date.

The screenshots are with the car set on cruise control at 55 with the phone unplugged from the Apple lightning cable and the second with it plugged in and connected to CarPlay.

The 115% (approx) speed indication is consistent regardless of which app I use.

May 30, 2019 9:16 AM in response to rgeurt

I had the 10 MPH+ Waze speedo reading when plugged into carplay problem on my Ford Escape. Changing the lighting cable fixed the problem completely. I was using a third party coily cable and when I switched to an Amazon Basics cable the problem was resolved. I assume that using an official Apple cable would yield the same result, I just didn't have one handy to try.

Jul 28, 2019 2:42 AM in response to rgeurt

I have the same issue - I first noticed this with Waze showing a much higher speed than actual. I did some more testing and found that connecting the iPhone to CarPlay increases the speed displayed by any app running on the phone. I ran an app called Speedometer on the iPhone with CarPlay disconnected, and it showed the speed around 4 km/h below the speedo in my car (also a Ford running Sync3). I then had my passengar connect CarPlay while driving at a steady speed of 50km/h and the displayed speed on the iPhone jumped up by 8 km/h! This is repeatable and reversible i.e. unplugging the iPhone results in the speed displayed in Speedometer (or Waze) dropping back to below the car's inbuilt speedo. Conclusion: Apple and/or Ford have scaled up the GPS speed reported by the iPhone's GPS API when connected to CarPlay. My estimate of the scale factor is 15%.

Maybe 'they' have done this scaling deliberately so that the speed displayed on the CarPlay screen is always higher than the actual speed, just as car's inbuilt speedometers do (by regulation). But they have, in my view, ruined the usefulness of GPS speed in CarPlay. I no longer pay any attention to the speedo on any app. That's a shame. It also means that any app that measures distance or acceleration using GPS will be inaccurate. That's just unacceptable.

I'd be interested to know if this applies to other (non-Ford) head-units/cars running CarPlay. Based on the posts here and on reddit this is isolated to Ford Sync.

GPS Speed indicating high

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.