Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

buying a used phone

I am buying an Iphone X from Kijiji.ca in Canada.

Is there anything I need to do to ensure for legitimacy.

I checkd the IMEI from a website and it appears clean and I did make a call with a different SIM with no problem.

Do I have to register it to my name also?

Thanks

Raj

iPhone X

Posted on May 31, 2019 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2019 11:32 AM

There is no way to check if a device is activation locked (Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support) without having that iPhone physically in your hands. Activation lock has nothing to do with the iPhone’s IMEI.

If you buy a used iPhone or iPad that is activation locked, and do not know or do not have access to the person who knows the AppleID and password used with find my iPhone, you will never be able to activate and use that device. And Apple won’t help you with that - they do not get involved with private party sales or exchanges of used, personal property. You will own a useless hunk of plastic and metal.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2019 11:32 AM in response to rajivd007

There is no way to check if a device is activation locked (Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support) without having that iPhone physically in your hands. Activation lock has nothing to do with the iPhone’s IMEI.

If you buy a used iPhone or iPad that is activation locked, and do not know or do not have access to the person who knows the AppleID and password used with find my iPhone, you will never be able to activate and use that device. And Apple won’t help you with that - they do not get involved with private party sales or exchanges of used, personal property. You will own a useless hunk of plastic and metal.

May 31, 2019 10:06 AM in response to rajivd007

rajivd007 wrote:

I checked the IMEI number, all is well so far!

Hate to break it to you, but that's not possible. No 3rd party has legitimate access to that information at all.

No idea what you mean by "register at Apple to ensure its authenticity"...

I imagine the answer to that is going to be no. You can check the serial number to see if it's under warranty, but all that does is verify that the serial number you entered is valid...

buying a used phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.