Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Office 365 Multifactor Authentication with iOS 12 and later Mail app. Microsoft Authenticator

I asked this question about 73days ago with no replies but I figured it out. I posting this again to help out people like me who work in IT that need support business user who don't want to use the Outlook app for emails. The answer to this question will be in a reply to this thread.

With the previous version of iOS, I was able to enter the app password into the setting for an Exchange account in Passwords and Account. Now in iOS 12 the settings to enter a password are no longer available so the Microsoft app password can no longer be added as far as I know. Has anyone figured out how to do the MFA to work with the iOS 12 Mail app?

I need to clarify. Things have changed in iOS 12, most of the stuff on the internet was posted with old versions of iOS(pre-iOS 12) in mind. I plan to ask Microsoft about it, but as it is related to a 3rd party app in their opinion, I came here first.

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 6:47 AM

Steps to add an Office 365 account with Multi-factor Authentication enforced to work with the Mail App iOS or Later are as follows.

1. Download the Microsoft Authenticator app onto your phone. You should have done this when you first setup multi-factor authentication for your email but if you have not you will need to do so before continuing. Please follow the steps in the below link to do so https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-microsoft-authenticator-with-office-365-1412611f-ad8d-43ab-807c-7965e5155411#ID0EAADAAA=_Step_1
  2. Now on your phone got to Settings. Then go to "Passwords & Accounts". Now under accounts go to "Add Account" .
  3. Select Exchange.
  4. Now enter your email address and select "Next".
  5. A popup that says something to the effect "Sign in to your "whatever domain name goes here" Exchange account using Microsoft?" Select "Sign in".
  6. Now a login.microsoftonline.com screen should come up. Enter the password for your email address and select "Sign in".
  7. You should now see a screen that says "Approve sign in request."

Before continuing, I have to mention that before iOS 12.3.1 if you selected "Receive notifications for verifications" when you set up the Mircosoft Authenticator, Approving the sign on would not work. You would have to select "Sign in another way" at the "Approve sign in request" screen. Then select "Use a verification code from my mobile app". Open the Microsoft Authenticator app and make a note of the code. Make sure that you have enough time to enter it in before the timer on the code runs out. Select "Verify". With iOS 12.3.1 all you have to do is open the Autenticator and select "Approve" if you chose "Receive notifications for verifications" when you set up the Microsoft Authenticator.

8.Select which options you want available to you on your phone like mail, contact, calendar, etc. and select "Save".

You should now be able to retrieve email from an Office 365 account with Multi-factor Authentication enforced using the Mail app.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2019 6:47 AM in response to WSPalmBeach

Steps to add an Office 365 account with Multi-factor Authentication enforced to work with the Mail App iOS or Later are as follows.

1. Download the Microsoft Authenticator app onto your phone. You should have done this when you first setup multi-factor authentication for your email but if you have not you will need to do so before continuing. Please follow the steps in the below link to do so https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-microsoft-authenticator-with-office-365-1412611f-ad8d-43ab-807c-7965e5155411#ID0EAADAAA=_Step_1
  2. Now on your phone got to Settings. Then go to "Passwords & Accounts". Now under accounts go to "Add Account" .
  3. Select Exchange.
  4. Now enter your email address and select "Next".
  5. A popup that says something to the effect "Sign in to your "whatever domain name goes here" Exchange account using Microsoft?" Select "Sign in".
  6. Now a login.microsoftonline.com screen should come up. Enter the password for your email address and select "Sign in".
  7. You should now see a screen that says "Approve sign in request."

Before continuing, I have to mention that before iOS 12.3.1 if you selected "Receive notifications for verifications" when you set up the Mircosoft Authenticator, Approving the sign on would not work. You would have to select "Sign in another way" at the "Approve sign in request" screen. Then select "Use a verification code from my mobile app". Open the Microsoft Authenticator app and make a note of the code. Make sure that you have enough time to enter it in before the timer on the code runs out. Select "Verify". With iOS 12.3.1 all you have to do is open the Autenticator and select "Approve" if you chose "Receive notifications for verifications" when you set up the Microsoft Authenticator.

8.Select which options you want available to you on your phone like mail, contact, calendar, etc. and select "Save".

You should now be able to retrieve email from an Office 365 account with Multi-factor Authentication enforced using the Mail app.

Using Office 365 Multifactor Authentication with iOS 12 and later Mail app. Microsoft Authenticator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.