Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Undoing iMovie Library Update

I have my iMovie library on an external hard drive and recently it was plugged into a computer that is running the latest version of iMovie (10.1.11). The library was updated for use on that specific computer, and now when I try to open it on my own computer (Version 10.0.8), the following message appears:

"The operation couldn’t be completed. One or more projects or events were created with a newer version of iMovie. These projects and events will be ignored."

Unfortunately, the app store will not let me update to the latest version of iMovie on my own computer since my operating system is out of date, and I really do not want to go through the trouble of updating my operating system as well just to open a few iMovie files.

Is there a way to revert this iMovie library back to a format that will run on earlier versions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2019 3:36 PM

Hi,

If you have a Time Machine backup you could try restoring your library to an earlier version preceding the update.

Another thing you could try is looking in the iMovie Backups folder and open a previous backup of your library before it was updated. To get to the iMovie Backups folder go to the Finder menu and follow this file path: Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups. When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library. Click on one that is dated before the update to your current library. iMovie hopefully will open in that library as it would normally do.

-- Rich

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2019 3:36 PM in response to kgreenski7

Hi,

If you have a Time Machine backup you could try restoring your library to an earlier version preceding the update.

Another thing you could try is looking in the iMovie Backups folder and open a previous backup of your library before it was updated. To get to the iMovie Backups folder go to the Finder menu and follow this file path: Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups. When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library. Click on one that is dated before the update to your current library. iMovie hopefully will open in that library as it would normally do.

-- Rich

Undoing iMovie Library Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.