Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best way of saving emails from accidental deletion?

Yesterday I deleted all my emails from my BT Yahoo accounts not realising they would also be deleted from my Mac Mail accounts.

For future use how can I save my emails from a similar fate?

Will the process be an auto-updating one or will I need to repeat it every few days etc.?

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 5:51 AM

Don't delete them seems simple enough.

If you want to remove them from the server, but keep local copies, create Mailboxes in the "On My Mac" section and drag the messages into those Mailboxes. They'll be removed from the server and stored locally on your Mac. Then, don't delete those, either.

5 replies

Jun 2, 2019 6:11 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Yes, I completely understood that you don't understand how the IMAP email protocol works.

That's why I explained how to maintain local copies of your emails, while still using the account.

You could also just find an email provider that still provides POP access and switch over to that. That would download all email messages off the server and store them on your Mac. If you need to access the account from multiple devices, then POP isn't really configured to do that well.

Jun 2, 2019 11:01 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Does it work both ways . . . emails deleted from my Mac Mail account are automatically removed from my ISP mail servers?

Yes

In the past, when getting a new Mac I have copied the Mail folder and the com.apple.mail.plist from the old Library to the new one (via an HDD or memory stick. Is this still a viable proposition?

I don't think that is the best way to do it, but I can't say whether it works or not.

I just use Migration Assistant.

What is the best way of saving emails from accidental deletion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.