Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local contacts show as foreign phone numbers with an eSim

I recently updated to an esim in order to buy local sim cards for data when travelling. My phone is Slovenian and I recently travelled to Brazil, Argentina (1st trip), Singapore and Australia (2nd trip) where I managed to use local sim cards with mixed results. After returning home from the first trip I noticed that local Slovenian contacts (all entered with +386) started to show as a number only from Brazil.

Things gort stranger after the second trip, as the phone took a while to realise that I was back in Slovenia. it eventually did revert to Slovenia, however on a trip to Hungary then switched back to Singapore Changi Airport. That issue has resolved itself, however local contacts are now showing only as numbers from Singapore, which is really frustrating as I have no idea who is calling.

I did a lot of research on the internet to no avail and have turned icloud on and off, and even restored the phone to factory settings and then a backup.

I can't help thinking that this is something to do with the esim as I've travelled extensively with all iPhone models and even this one before I changed to esim and never seen this before.

Any help would be really appreciated!

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2019 2:59 AM

I've managed to find a solution. I put in a Slovenian sim card from a colleague's phone and made that the primary line. I then dialled that number and it worked fine. I then removed that sim card and switched it back to the esim and it's ok now. Quite frustrating but at least I found a fix...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2019 2:59 AM in response to Eddo

I've managed to find a solution. I put in a Slovenian sim card from a colleague's phone and made that the primary line. I then dialled that number and it worked fine. I then removed that sim card and switched it back to the esim and it's ok now. Quite frustrating but at least I found a fix...

Local contacts show as foreign phone numbers with an eSim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.