Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reduce photo file size in Photo App?

How can I reduce file size? Editing in Photoshop doesn't help because Photos app keeps original so you can revert anytime.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 12:15 PM

Phots does not have any tools to reduce the file size of the photos in the library. It ensures the lossless workflow. If you want to reduce the file size of a photo, use "File > Export > Export ... photos" to save a smaller version of the file to the Desktop, Then import this smaller version and delete the full-size version,

I would keep copies of the full size originals on an external drive, if you cannot afford to have them in your Photos Library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2019 12:15 PM in response to l.s.p.

Phots does not have any tools to reduce the file size of the photos in the library. It ensures the lossless workflow. If you want to reduce the file size of a photo, use "File > Export > Export ... photos" to save a smaller version of the file to the Desktop, Then import this smaller version and delete the full-size version,

I would keep copies of the full size originals on an external drive, if you cannot afford to have them in your Photos Library.

Reduce photo file size in Photo App?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.