Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging MacBook Air

My friend from Canada gave me their Macbook Air but it doesn’t charge up with my Australian Macbook Air cord. Do I need to buy a different cord? What are my options?

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2019 9:45 PM

The mains end of the original adapter (if the unit is magsafe, with attached wire for output)

can be removed and replaced with a local/regional shape plug set with local grid prongs.

IF your's is one of these (not later USB3.1 non-magsafe) then the part simply is the small

portion of power adapter (that pulls up and off the main adapter) replaced, reverse path.

The various power adapters for Apple portables for your (AU) region should appear here:

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook - Apple Support (AU)

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201700

Usually the AC (mains) end is different and traditionally gets replaced with local input shape.

The actual power supply is automatically adjusted given internal tolerance to various inputs.

Some regions may require a closer tolerance power supply; if so, different part numbers apply.

Local 'extension cable' to replace the 'duck head' toggle portion of the Apple power supply

can be used as primary connection, once acquired. This should also reduce chance accidental

unplugging from mains/wall socket when used in place of the small removable connector.

These extension cables are useful across several Apple products with similar AC adapter. I've

several spare cords whose output end matches the duck head pin and notch. Some regional

adaptations of this do not have toggle/duckhead; instead are solid to match large prongs.

Hope you can locate source of this part; that an authorized Apple reseller or service, should have.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2019 9:45 PM in response to ida919

The mains end of the original adapter (if the unit is magsafe, with attached wire for output)

can be removed and replaced with a local/regional shape plug set with local grid prongs.

IF your's is one of these (not later USB3.1 non-magsafe) then the part simply is the small

portion of power adapter (that pulls up and off the main adapter) replaced, reverse path.

The various power adapters for Apple portables for your (AU) region should appear here:

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook - Apple Support (AU)

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201700

Usually the AC (mains) end is different and traditionally gets replaced with local input shape.

The actual power supply is automatically adjusted given internal tolerance to various inputs.

Some regions may require a closer tolerance power supply; if so, different part numbers apply.

Local 'extension cable' to replace the 'duck head' toggle portion of the Apple power supply

can be used as primary connection, once acquired. This should also reduce chance accidental

unplugging from mains/wall socket when used in place of the small removable connector.

These extension cables are useful across several Apple products with similar AC adapter. I've

several spare cords whose output end matches the duck head pin and notch. Some regional

adaptations of this do not have toggle/duckhead; instead are solid to match large prongs.

Hope you can locate source of this part; that an authorized Apple reseller or service, should have.

Jun 2, 2019 11:18 PM in response to ida919

Your duplicate Q: was removed; if you had additional info or inquiry, please add to this thread.

{..Anyone else may offer reply ~ if you do not agree with an existing response..}

IF the MacBook Air does not charge, and other causes are ruled out, there may be hardware

issue in the MacBook or the charging ports, etc. ~ Troubleshooting the Mac would be next.

Battery, power adapter, and the 'dc-power charge circuit' within MB/Air should be tested.

(an apparent 'flat battery' w/o power reserves, should be allowed to charge up to 8 hours)

Good luck & happy computing!🌞

Charging MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.