Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do have to keep downloading music from my icloud

I have plenty of storage on my phone and iPad and when I go to listen to music that I have purchased , some of it is stored in my iCloud and I have to wait on it to download before I can play it . this is frustrating and wasn’t like this before.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 12:57 PM

Hi taterbug77,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I see you may be running into an issue with music and I'm glad to see how I can assist.

It sounds like this is happening with music you've purchased in the iTunes Store as opposed to downloading from Apple Music or syncing with iTunes; is that correct?

Can you provide a little more detail about what's happening? Are you downloading these songs directly to your device and then find they delete at some point after? Or is something else happening?

Are you seeing a cloud icon next to the songs when you look at your library? Are you able to play them without tapping the cloud icon? If not, what happens when you try?

Which exact iOS version are you using under Settings > General > About?

Does the same thing happen on both cellular data and Wi-Fi?

To look at another possibility, if you are subscribing to Apple Music, this setting from the article titled Add music to iPhone and listen offline is worth checking out:

"Manage storage space

• Free up music storage: If iPhone is low on storage space, you can automatically remove downloaded music that you haven’t played in a while. Go to Settings  > Music > Optimize Storage."

I hope this helps get you started. Kind regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2019 12:57 PM in response to taterbug77

Hi taterbug77,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I see you may be running into an issue with music and I'm glad to see how I can assist.

It sounds like this is happening with music you've purchased in the iTunes Store as opposed to downloading from Apple Music or syncing with iTunes; is that correct?

Can you provide a little more detail about what's happening? Are you downloading these songs directly to your device and then find they delete at some point after? Or is something else happening?

Are you seeing a cloud icon next to the songs when you look at your library? Are you able to play them without tapping the cloud icon? If not, what happens when you try?

Which exact iOS version are you using under Settings > General > About?

Does the same thing happen on both cellular data and Wi-Fi?

To look at another possibility, if you are subscribing to Apple Music, this setting from the article titled Add music to iPhone and listen offline is worth checking out:

"Manage storage space

• Free up music storage: If iPhone is low on storage space, you can automatically remove downloaded music that you haven’t played in a while. Go to Settings  > Music > Optimize Storage."

I hope this helps get you started. Kind regards.

Why do have to keep downloading music from my icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.