Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting a MacBook4,1

I am giving my old MacBook 4,1 to a friend. I would like to reset it to factory settings. I have tried Command +R, Option + Command +R and Shift + Option + Command +R to reach the Disk Utility none of them work. This MacBook has OS X 6.8. It cannot be upgraded past this version. Anyone know if there are other options to reset this to factory? I have no restart discs.

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 9:10 PM

If your Apple ID, iTunes, etc. is tied to this laptop, then follow the instructions here first.

You will need to reinstall OSX using the OSX 10.6 install DVD. OSX 10.6 did not have a Recovery Partition or Recovery Mode. When you boot the install DVD, launch Disk Utility and erase the drive before continuing with the reinstall.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2019 9:10 PM in response to coleen210

If your Apple ID, iTunes, etc. is tied to this laptop, then follow the instructions here first.

You will need to reinstall OSX using the OSX 10.6 install DVD. OSX 10.6 did not have a Recovery Partition or Recovery Mode. When you boot the install DVD, launch Disk Utility and erase the drive before continuing with the reinstall.

Resetting a MacBook4,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.