Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to dual boot Mojave / Catalina

Dear all,

I would like to try and install the macOS 10.15 Catalina beta to try it out.

What is the best way to go hardware-wise?

I have heard that APFS volumes can create sub-partitions with ease so that I can have a dual boot on my 2016 MBP which has 10.14.5 installed. Is this a viable way?

How should I proceed in this regard?

Would an external T3 SSD work better or in a safer way?

Thank you very much for your time and help

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 3, 2019 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 2:19 AM

Apple beta products are outside of the support scope in the Apple Support Communities. Apple does not recommend that you install the beta on a production Mac. Anyone that may have already installed the Catalina beta cannot discuss it here, as that would be a violation of the beta agreement, and the terms of this site.

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2019 2:19 AM in response to NotationMaster

Apple beta products are outside of the support scope in the Apple Support Communities. Apple does not recommend that you install the beta on a production Mac. Anyone that may have already installed the Catalina beta cannot discuss it here, as that would be a violation of the beta agreement, and the terms of this site.

Jun 5, 2019 8:45 AM in response to woodmeister50

Well, my understanding is that the developer beta may not be exaxtly the same as the public beta and the developer forums are exactly what their name implies: they are for developers, not a general discussion of public beta problems. My info comes from these

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

and the included link for the terms.

And here are the terms for the developer forums which are also considered confidential.

https://forums.developer.apple.com/create-account.jspa

There is a third program which is by invitation only and that does have its own discussion forums which are also governed by an NDA and cannot be discussed here.

Jun 4, 2019 2:51 AM in response to VikingOSX

I apologise for this.

Let me rephrase the question then: I know that I can resize the volume where macOS is installed to have a dual boot with another operative system supported by my machine.

How can I do that?

I know it is done via Disk Utility but I would like to see a precise set of instructions.

If you feel that I should make a different question just let me know.

Thank you

Jun 4, 2019 3:42 AM in response to NotationMaster

I don't do dual boot solutions here, so someone else will have to address your question, especially if it pertains to APFS.

The quanta of individuals that use n-tuple boot operating systems on native Mac hardware is a very small number, and even smaller for those that reqularly respond to user questions here. If you get in a jam configuring your Mac in an Apple unsupported manner, you may endure a very long wait for help.

Jun 4, 2019 3:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

By now this was just an idea because I know that APFS can resize volumes.

I also know that there is a bug in Mojave that makes this resizing operation fail via Disk Utility while it succeeds via Terminal.

I guess by now the best option would be to have an external SSD and boot from there so that, whatever happens, I can just format that disk.

Thank you for your assistance and I apologise once more for the partially disallowed question.

I will keep this in mind.

Jun 4, 2019 4:02 AM in response to NotationMaster

I have an iMac with an internal SSD, and a dedicated external 512 GB Crucial SSD in a USB3 enclosure that is formatted HFS+. On that external drive, I keep my Parallel's OS X El Capitan guest, and two VirtualBox guests (Win10, and Ubuntu 18.04). It is not dual-boot, but the performance over USB3 is sufficient with all SSD activity that it is quite usable.

Jun 4, 2019 7:35 AM in response to NotationMaster

Basically, what you need to do is create a separate APFS partition,

not a container. Click the icon in the upper left corner of the Disk Utility

box somewhat it is set to show devices. Then select the drive, not any

volume under it. Then click partition and in the display click the "+" to

add a partition and size to appropriately, chose APFS for the file system.

99% of the time there will be no issue, however, it is always a good idea

to do a full system backup just in case

I did this when the public beta for Mojave came out and I was running

High Sierra as my "main" system. FWIW, I started on an external drive but

I had issues with applying updates to Mojave Public Beta on the external.

When I moved it internal, the update issues went away. Perhaps Catalina

will resolve those sorts of issues.

Jun 5, 2019 2:27 AM in response to babowa

Sure, Viking OSX already mentioned that.

By now my new plan is to buy an external SSD (probably a Samsung EVO 970 with a USB 3.1gen2 enclosure) and install it there so that if anything goes woefully wrong I can just erase that disk and start over.

Also, my main work software won't be deemed compatible with the new macOS until about the .2 update so if I want to develop in Xcode 11 with some degree of success I need either an extra machine or another bootable option.

Jun 5, 2019 4:55 AM in response to babowa

FWIW, one can discuss beta issues, even public betas, in the specific

developers only communities but not outside in these public communities.

So, one is not totally on their own. Though, when I encountered issues, I

personally never found much help there. You also don't have to be a "paying"

developer to do so. Unless these policies have recently changed.

Jun 5, 2019 12:39 PM in response to babowa

Perhaps I may have been in group 3 as all the discussions were all

related to the public beta and issues with the various parts of macOS

(i.e. Mail, Safari, Photos, updating, App Store, etc.) and none were related

at all to developer specific issues.

Or maybe my developer account which was opened before OSX was

even imagined granted me access.

Regardless, yes, nothing discussed in those communities was permitted outside

of those communities else lightning would strike you down where you stood

or even worse.

Jun 5, 2019 12:42 PM in response to woodmeister50

You would know if you were in the third program - it is by invitation only directly and personally from the Apple program and there are no discussions at all re. the public beta or the developer betas. You need to be specifically invited, accept the invitation, register the device serial number and specs with which you will be testing, sign an NDA, and resign from the project if or when so desired.

Jun 18, 2019 2:37 PM in response to TRON3030

I'm kind of unfamiliar with how to do such a thing: I used Parallels Desktop in the past to have Windows on my old 2009 MacBook Pro.

What are my options for this?

Also, I am somewhat low on space on this machine (2016 MBP). The disk is cluttered with System item (which range from Xcode files to local snapshots... I really do not know how all this adds up to about 400GB...) so a virtual machine may not have enough space to run.

How to dual boot Mojave / Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.