Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes end of life

I’m NOT happy!  Sounds like you are moving to things similar to Netflix and other streaming solutions, so what happens when I don’t have internet for up to 6 months at a time?  I relied on purchasing, downloading and having my stuff on my phone and pad without the need for internet once the music was downloaded. I may have to finally move away from Apple over this one.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 11:08 AM

Did you watch the Keynote? Or have you read anything about what actually happen? All Apple did is split the old iTunes app into three apps, one for music, one for video and one for podcasts. Syncing has been moved to the Finder. You will still be able to purchase, download and sync just as you always have.

Apple are quoted in this page

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/apple-announces-macos-catalina/

as saying:

'The new Music app for Mac is lightning fast, fun and easy to use. Apple Music will help users discover great new music with over 50 million songs, playlists and music videos. And users will have access to their entire music library, whether they downloaded the songs, purchased them or ripped them from a CD. For those who like to own their music, the iTunes Music Store is just a click away.'

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2019 11:08 AM in response to beangiep

Did you watch the Keynote? Or have you read anything about what actually happen? All Apple did is split the old iTunes app into three apps, one for music, one for video and one for podcasts. Syncing has been moved to the Finder. You will still be able to purchase, download and sync just as you always have.

Apple are quoted in this page

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/apple-announces-macos-catalina/

as saying:

'The new Music app for Mac is lightning fast, fun and easy to use. Apple Music will help users discover great new music with over 50 million songs, playlists and music videos. And users will have access to their entire music library, whether they downloaded the songs, purchased them or ripped them from a CD. For those who like to own their music, the iTunes Music Store is just a click away.'

Jun 5, 2019 12:17 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

But what is happening for users on older iMac’s? In particulare on picture synchonisation. At the moment i am bounded to an unsupported Aperture since photos doesn’t offer the functionality i use. And iTunes on the MacOs does not support PSE the photo editor i am using. I am feeling less and less support from Apple in the last couple of years.

Jun 5, 2019 12:18 AM in response to beangiep

But what is happening for users on older iMac’s? In particulare on picture synchonisation. At the moment i am bounded to an unsupported Aperture since photos doesn’t offer the functionality i use. And iTunes on the MacOs does not support PSE the photo editor i am using. I am feeling less and less support from Apple in the last couple of years.

Jun 5, 2019 12:26 AM in response to PieterHartman

If you have an old Mac using an Old OS with an Old Phone using an old iOS then everything remains exactly the same for you.

And no, you're not stuck with Aperture. There are many excellent replacements for Aperture - the Lightroom Suite, CaptureOne, One1 Photo Raw, DXO PhotoLab 2 etc etc etc - you need to learn that Apple got out of the serious shooter's market and Photos will never equal Aperture. For that you need a third party app.

I have no idea why you expect iTunes to support a photo editor.

Jun 5, 2019 1:04 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the answer.

In the definition on support i have a old iMac but a new iPad and iPhone.

The reason i have not gotten a new iMac are multiple. I like the drive it has. And since i am not an heavy user i don't have anything to complain about the power of my i5. And with newer software there is no guarantee that things get better.

I know there are a lot of alternatives to Aperture but like PSE (which is a photo organizer with albums as well) i am afraid they don't work together with iTunes like Aperture does on synchronising albums that you ordered with a lot of care.

(Support for PSE albums is available in the iTunes version on Windows.)

Jun 5, 2019 1:11 AM in response to PieterHartman

I was hoping for sometime that iTunes would get a better support for photo's but since they are focusing on photo i am afraid that the support of photos is going to be moved out iTunes and that you can only synchronise you own folders without being able to have any controle over what will be in an photo-show you want to put together for your iPad.

(I afraid that i am better of with windows 10.)

Jun 5, 2019 11:06 PM in response to PieterHartman

No need for sarcasm. Here's your choice: you choose to use an old Mac for your own reasons. You want to have the most recent iOS devices. You expect that Mac to somehow maintain forward compatibility with devices and software that's much more modern. I want a unicorn for a pet. We both have to accept that what we want is not possible and make other plans. You can simply maintain the systems you have at their current level or update your Mac. Or use another OS. I have to make do with a dog.

Itunes end of life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.