Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro loses gps fix

I have an iPad Pro 12.9 2018. It loses the gps fix at random. I’ve tried all the standard things recommended from Apple, nothing, I repeat, nothing fixes the problem!!! I own a 42 sailboat and I run two iPads, an iPad Pro 12.9 and an iPad Air 2 with the identical navigation apps within 12 inches of each other - only the iPad Pro loses the gps fix, the iPad Air 2 has never lost a fix! I’ve installed the latest iOS from Apple, never an improvement. I run a Facebook page on coastal navigation, there are a dozen users of iPad Pros and iPhone X with the identical problem on the forum. This problem is widespread. I’ve taken my iPad Pro to an Apple Genius Bar and was offered a replacement. I asked, how do I know the gps chip has been fixed? He had no answer. The problem is NOT confined to just my iPad Pro! There are many others on the same boat.

I need a solution, not just yet another recommendation to do yet another hard reset or yet another complete wipe back to new conditions - that does not fix the problem! What do you recommend to fix this widespread problem which is Not confined to just me or a #mall group of iPad Pro users?

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 4, 2019 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 2:14 PM

I submitted the following bug report at https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

--------------------------------

Here’s the ticket I submitted to Apple Support. No reply yet. It is not confined to just a few people!

My iPad Pro 12.9 (IMEI 358713095617698) loses GPS fix randomly, affecting all apps using GPS, the signal is reacquired in a few minutes. I have an iPad Air 2 about 12 inches away from the iPad Pro running the same apps and it has never lost a GPS fix. Both iPads have an unobstructed view of the sky. I did "Reset Network Settings", "Reset Location & Privacy", and restarted the iPad, the problem remained. My Case IDs = 100800051943 and 100846996177. The following people have the same problem: Miles Cherkasky, Sunny Wells, Mike Weidman, Chris Dunphy (Case ID 100782552758), Stephen Rosen, Judy Mann (Case ID 100847363111). This is a serious problem affecting navigation with the iPad and many people give up and do not report it or buy a Bluetooth GPS receiver. Please Fix the problem.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2019 2:14 PM in response to Viksterion

I submitted the following bug report at https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

--------------------------------

Here’s the ticket I submitted to Apple Support. No reply yet. It is not confined to just a few people!

My iPad Pro 12.9 (IMEI 358713095617698) loses GPS fix randomly, affecting all apps using GPS, the signal is reacquired in a few minutes. I have an iPad Air 2 about 12 inches away from the iPad Pro running the same apps and it has never lost a GPS fix. Both iPads have an unobstructed view of the sky. I did "Reset Network Settings", "Reset Location & Privacy", and restarted the iPad, the problem remained. My Case IDs = 100800051943 and 100846996177. The following people have the same problem: Miles Cherkasky, Sunny Wells, Mike Weidman, Chris Dunphy (Case ID 100782552758), Stephen Rosen, Judy Mann (Case ID 100847363111). This is a serious problem affecting navigation with the iPad and many people give up and do not report it or buy a Bluetooth GPS receiver. Please Fix the problem.

Jun 4, 2019 4:50 PM in response to bob423423

I received yet another plea for help from a boater using navigation software that depends upon the internal gps chip in the iPad Pro. He ran aground today when the iPad Pro with his navigation software cut out. I had another member of the forum that’s been fighting this bug for months! What is Apple doing to fix this critical problem? Does anyone have an answer?

Aug 22, 2019 5:35 AM in response to Viksterion

I just submitted this summary on the Apple Feedback page. It's my third post on the subject. I plan on opening my third support ticket later today.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

iPad Pro GPS loss of fix

Problem: iPad Pro 2018 models (both the 11 and 12.9 inch are affected) intermittently lose GPS fix in all apps at the same time, especially when moving at speeds in the 3 to 10 mph range which is typical of sailboat speeds negating their use in navigation. Owners replacing their iPad Pro tablets have found it does not fix the problem.

Know owners affected:

Miles Cherkasky

Sunny Wells

Mike Weidman

Chris Dunphy, case #100782552758

Stephen Rosen

Judy Mann, case #100847363111

Jeff North

Robert Sherer, case #100800051943

Viksterion

Judy Mann

Robert Sherer case # 100847363111 (2nd case #)

This is a critical problem preventing the use of the iPad Pro in marine navigation - what is being done to address this problem?

Jul 25, 2019 1:40 PM in response to bob423423

Can confirm this very serious problem.

I just got two iPad Pro 11" for navigation on my sailing yacht and both have the exact same issue.

GPS works fine most of the time, but cuts out and loses fix for no reason from every 5 minutes to half an hour or so. There seems to be no pattern. Possibly it happens more when you are going slow, at least on one of my units. I use Navionics Boating Marine & Lakes.

When it happens, the log shows 0 knots of speed (even if you are going 7 knots) and the positions stops updating. Very scary and dangerous in the Swedish archipelago where I navigate.

I have the same app on my Galaxy S phone, and that is what I now end up using in my hand in order not to hit anything - this after buying and installing two iPad Pros with waterproof cases - insane...

How can Apple not address this and explain what is going on? I have had GPS in my phones for years without a problem, and now I have this issue with products in this price range, especially as I was forced to buy the cellular model just to get GPS (crazy in itself in this day and age)?!

Jul 26, 2019 11:45 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Installing 12.4 on both my devices now. Will not be able to test for at least 2.5 weeks though as I will not have time to go to the yacht. Nothing in the changelog about GPS as far as I can tell though.

Cannot understand how an issue of this kind (truly basic functionality) can be present on a product of this type so long after release. Incredible to me.

Aug 22, 2019 12:19 AM in response to bob423423

Have had time to test now. It appears improved in the sense that you don't get as many drops while moving at a good pace (above 3 knots or so). However, the problem is at least as bad, if not worse, at slow speeds (when you really need it while docking in tight places with lots of shoals such as in the Swedish archipelago).

All in all, I spent $3.000 on units that are useless for the most basic functionality. I still find myself with my Samsung phone in my hand whenever I need to know where I am.

Any cheap device can do this, how is this not acknowledged by Apple and how can we not be told what is going to happen as far as a solutions goes?

Sep 4, 2019 10:19 AM in response to bob423423

How can the most basic GPS functionality be a problem on

a device in this price range in 2019??

And how can Apple not address this for users they have

forced to buy an extra expensive cellular version of the already expensive device

just to get GPS (which is typically included in any low-cost electronic device).

Talk about feeling utterly humiliated for dumb enough to buy two of

these now useless products with third-party addons to make them waterproof and

mountable on my yacht (which makes it even more of a pain to have to return

them). Now my daughter started using one of them for school to at least get something

out of them.

What a joke. At least give us an explanation and let us know if it

is worth waiting for a fix (which should have been out long ago on a device

this old). How hard can it be?

iPad Pro loses gps fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.