Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

_AlwaysShowDuplicates stopped working in Mojave Mail Version 12.4 (3445.104.11)

I use an an email support tracking service called Reamaze. Incoming messages are sent to an address checked by the service, which logs them and sends a templated copy to my work account. When I reply to that message, it goes back through Reamaze and then to the client. It works great because multiple employees can talk to a client and see the whole conversation.

However, when a client sends an email to me directly, as well as our Reamaze email account (via To or CC), I only get the email that was sent to me directly. If I reply to that email, it goes only to the client and doesn't get logged in the system for other support reps to see.

Talking to Reamaze support, they explained that the email they pass through the system retains the same email ID, so while the content differs slightly, Mail.app is interpreting it as a duplicate and hiding it from view. They said I could use this command to get Mail to show both copies. And it worked... until recently, when it is back to the original behavior with Mail Version 12.4 (3445.104.11)

defaults write com.apple.mail _AlwaysShowDuplicates -bool true

Is there a different flag name we should now be using?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2019 9:01 PM

Based on this thread, I may have found the answer...

https://github.com/mathiasbynens/dotfiles/issues/849

It appears that the whole defaults write function was broken by an update to the security settings. To fix it, you need to add Terminal, and /bin/bash to the Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy->Full Disk Access list.

You can use the + button to add Terminal from /Applications/utilities but adding bash is trickier. Use the command:

open /bin

That will open the hidden folder with bash in it. From there, you can drag the bash icon into the list to add it.

Before granting these apps permission, running: defaults read com.apple.mail you will get a list of maybe 4-5 entries. But after, you get a file with 1,400 lines, showing that it's accessing a different file.

I made the change I wanted and restarted Mail. Sending myself a couple test messages, I now get the Reamaze message and not the regular one. I don't really know why, but it's the message I need, so I'm not going to worry about it. They were messages with no real content so maybe they were caught by spam filters.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2019 9:01 PM in response to Michael C. Reilly

Based on this thread, I may have found the answer...

https://github.com/mathiasbynens/dotfiles/issues/849

It appears that the whole defaults write function was broken by an update to the security settings. To fix it, you need to add Terminal, and /bin/bash to the Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy->Full Disk Access list.

You can use the + button to add Terminal from /Applications/utilities but adding bash is trickier. Use the command:

open /bin

That will open the hidden folder with bash in it. From there, you can drag the bash icon into the list to add it.

Before granting these apps permission, running: defaults read com.apple.mail you will get a list of maybe 4-5 entries. But after, you get a file with 1,400 lines, showing that it's accessing a different file.

I made the change I wanted and restarted Mail. Sending myself a couple test messages, I now get the Reamaze message and not the regular one. I don't really know why, but it's the message I need, so I'm not going to worry about it. They were messages with no real content so maybe they were caught by spam filters.

_AlwaysShowDuplicates stopped working in Mojave Mail Version 12.4 (3445.104.11)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.