Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't restore/backup the iPhone because the backup session failed.

Phone: iPhone 8 v iOS 12.3.1

iTunes on Windows 7 12.9.1.4

Following a failed update on the phone, I had to reset the phone, all ok.

The failed update was done via cable connection to PC/iTunes and iTunes backed up the phone so hopefully, there is a full backup of the phone's date saved just 3 days ago.

Problem is, I get the error message "iTunes could not restore the iPhone "iPhone" because the backup session failed" when I try to restore the phone from this back up, or any backup saved.

The iPhone connects to the PC/iTunes successfully, it sync's, I can explore the phone's contents via Windows, it just will not backup or restore this phone.

The phone will restore successfully from iCloud, but that backup is 6 months old.

So far I have tried;

uninstall/reinstall iTunes.

Reset the phone a second time.

Tried a different cable.

Switched off all AVG internet security functions.

rebooting PC, turning on/off iPhone.

Googling the error message just leads to sites who want to sell you the many iPhone repair apps.

So does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

iPhone 8, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 6, 2019 1:13 AM in response to sheldon146

One thing you can try is copying your iTunes for Windows backup file onto another Windows machine or, ideally, to a Mac to see if the Mac's iTunes has better luck in trying to restore your backup. If there's an Apple Store near you you can easily use any of their floor model display Macs to try and do this.

This page does show you the location of where iTunes for Windows and iTunes for Mac keep their copy of your iPhone backup file:

https://deciphertools.com/blog/where-are-iphone-backups/

A lot of Apple Authorized Service Providers actually have those 3rd-party tools that can attempt to recover and utilize problem backups and that might be easier than buying one of those tools yourself. You can use Apple's "Locate" page to jump through all the trigger questions to finally indicate you want to bring your iPhone in for repair in order to get a list of local Apple Authorized Service Providers. The Apple Store's don't do this, but if there are any "Premium" providers in your area (indicated with a "Star") almost all of them have tons of 3rd-party data recovery-type tools.

https://locate.apple.com

Tenorshare iCareFone is the most popular set of tools for fixing backups, but it is an $80 program (and the free trial doesn't do this). Again though, since it is not a cheap program I would suggest finding a Premium service provider that advertises they do data recovery, copying your backup file to a USB drive, and stop in or give them a call as they most likely will have this:

https://www.tenorshare.com/products/icarefone.html

Can't restore/backup the iPhone because the backup session failed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.