Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Notes - If you lose your phone, does iCloud backup restore them on a new iPhone?

Apple Notes are fantastic, the best notes app I have used by far. I am travelling to a high risk area and have to prepared for the worst case scenario of losing my iOS device.

My question is, does iCloud backup restore the notes in the "on my device" folder when doing a full restoration on a brand new iPhone?

Please note the picture below, it has a red circle on the folder I must have backed up. This is the specific folder I'm talking about. It's essential that this folder is preserved in the icloud device backup.

The image above shows that the "device backup" is enabled. The essential question is whether this backup contains the notes "on my device".

I appreciate any reply from an iCloud enthusiast. If I cannot find an answer here I will make a genius bar appointment and post results here for others to know.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 10:13 AM

Hello Epoch-,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I see that you have a question about if the notes that have been stored on your iPhone would be included in an iCloud backup. Thank you for including screenshots of what you're describing. I would be happy to help provide more information about this process.

Data stored on the iPhone and not synced to iCloud, such as notes stored in the 'On My iPhone' folder of your Notes app, would be included in a backup to iCloud or iTunes. Any data already synced to iCloud, such as the 'iCloud' folder shown in your screenshot, would not be included.

You can find more details under the "Here's what an iCloud backup includes" section here:

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Take care and have a safe trip.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2019 10:13 AM in response to Epoch-

Hello Epoch-,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I see that you have a question about if the notes that have been stored on your iPhone would be included in an iCloud backup. Thank you for including screenshots of what you're describing. I would be happy to help provide more information about this process.

Data stored on the iPhone and not synced to iCloud, such as notes stored in the 'On My iPhone' folder of your Notes app, would be included in a backup to iCloud or iTunes. Any data already synced to iCloud, such as the 'iCloud' folder shown in your screenshot, would not be included.

You can find more details under the "Here's what an iCloud backup includes" section here:

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

Take care and have a safe trip.

Apple Notes - If you lose your phone, does iCloud backup restore them on a new iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.