Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air can't use external DVD drive anymore

I have an LG Slim Portable DVD Writer (model # GP65NW60) that worked perfectly with my MacBook Air for several years... but at some point it stopped. I know this is a problem specific to the computer, because the drive works perfectly when connected to a MacBook Pro.

First it stopped being able to burn CDs UNLESS they were music CDs being burned out of iTunes. (Yesterday I inserted a blank CD while iTunes was open and the computer crashed but a reboot solved the problem and I was able to burn a music CD without problems. It was able to also read that CD.)

Now it has stopped being able to *READ* DVDs. I tried several - the DVD loads, DVD player opens, it gets three notes into the 20th Century Fox theme music (for example), and then goes dead - black screen, no input taken from wired external keyboard, laptop, bluetooth mouse, or trackpad. The only way to recover is to paperclip-eject the disk and force-reboot the computer.

I've looked and there are no driver updates for the Mac (there is one dated August 2018, but it's Windows only).

Any ideas? I went looking through my library for likely .plist files to trash and didn't find anything that seemed like it was related.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 6, 2019 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2019 5:29 AM

If that's the case then it's not likely it's a firmware problem. You can try resetting the SMC.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies

MacBook Air can't use external DVD drive anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.